Best combination for redundancy

svanarts

I really like Dynon's products and think you guys have the best thing going so I feel very comfortable just having a second Dynon product for redundancy. My question is which combo gives you the most bang for the buck?

I was thinking of a D180 as primary and a D100 or D10A as backup instrument. My thought was to use the D180 as the primary EFIS and keep flight instruments up on that display, and keep engine instruments up on the other display. If the primary EFIS dies then at the very least I have flight instruments on the other. If the second EFIS D100/D10A looses bus communication (with the now dead primary) it will default back to flight instrument, correct?

Is there a better combo? Is my thinking flawed? Does my explanation even make sense? :)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You have the right combination in mind. With a FlightDEK-D180 and a second EFIS-D100 or EFIS-D10A, you afford yourself completely redundant primary flight instruments, and the engine instruments can be displayed on either instrument as well.

For technical reasons, namely that you can't hook some of the engine sensors to multiple instruments, you can't really go with two FlightDEK-D180s, but then again, most people probably agree that it is not as critical that your engine instruments be backed up.

If the second EFIS-D100 loses comm with the FlightDEK-D180, then it would annunciate that it's lost the EMS, and you'd simply push a button to get back to the primary instrument display.