boost pump, and fuel flow cal?

13brv3

Greetings,

As most of us know, the Facet boost pump that Van's sells creates pulses in the fuel line that cause the fuel flow reading to change substantially. On my previous RV-8, I mounted the flow meter downstream from the boost pump. This time, I mounted it upstream, thinking it would avoid the pulses. I was wrong ::)

If you leave the boost pump on all the time, could you calibrate the fuel flow accurately, or is the effect from the pump pulses too erratic for a good cal?

FWIW, I've never seen the logic in turning off the boost pump.

Cheers,
Rusty

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If there are pulses in the fuel line, there isn't any way to calibrate the fuel flow readings to provide a steady instantaneous fuel flow number. However, we have had reports from customers that despite these instantaneous fluctuations, the overall fuel usage computations can even out over a tank of fuel.

Further, there are fuel pulsation dampeners available. We do not sell them ourselves, but check out http://www.matronics.com/ .

13brv3

Thanks for the thoughts. I know about the stainless sphere dampener, but they say to put it just before, or after the flow meter, and that isn't possible in my installation. If I put it way downstream where I have a location, then it probably wouldn't work.

I might try calibrating the sensor with the pump on all the time. Initially, I could set the plane up in cruise, record the fuel flow reading with the pump off, then turn the pump on and change the calibration figure until I get the original flow reading. I'm still on my 25 mile test flight leash for the next 15 hours, so it will give me something to do :)

Rusty