Broke the shear pin. Dumb move!

lwhitlow

Hi all

I was updating the software on my 100/120/hs34/ap74 in preps for the first engine start, and I though Hey i haven't installed the AP servos yet and they need updating soo drag them out of the box,  temp wire them to the plane and update the little buggers.   

What do you know it worked and the servos were updated in a snap.  BUTTTTTTT.

Since i had them out and I had most of the brackets fabbed  why not start a test fit while I have some time.

In my "think less just do" strategy, in trying to remove the arm so i could bolt the servo to the bracket  I snapped the shear pin.

Is this a part?  How do I get the  threaded part out of there?  Do I need to send it in to get it fixed?  nad just how do I get the arm (or the capstan for the other servo off so I can mount them?   Will Charlie Brown EVER get to kick the football?  (oh wait different discussion)

Can someone shed a bit of light on the next step?

Thanks

Larry

Zenith 601 / Jabiru 3300
"Now with "B" model goodness!!

99% done 47% left  Maybe I can start the engine this weekend!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If you take the castle nut off, the arm (or pulley) comes right off. You don't ever remove the shear screw, as you found out. We do actually have instructions on how to do this:

http://dynonavionics.com/downloads/...tan_Servo_Installation_Instructions_Rev_D.pdf

We can send you a shear screw. The part it screws into has three slots for a screw, so you get two more chances before we need to have it back ;)

Contact us via email or phone and we can mail you another one. If you'd prefer to send us the servo, we're happy to have you send it back for the shear screw re-installation too.

Jerrylane

I love flying!
Re: Broken Shear Screw-Need New One ASAP

Hi,
I have the SV42 installed in my aircraft for 3 years and I recently broke the shear screw. I need a new one as soon as possible. Installing a new one is not an issue.

Demonstrating the servo test with the control lock installed will shear the pin every time! So don't do that, I won't do it again.

Please allow me to purchase a new shear screw as I cannot find a place to order it on the website.

Thanks a bunch,
Jerry

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Jerry,
You need to call or email us to get a new shear screw. We'll happily send you one for free, but we like to discuss why it failed before we do so. The shear screw should not break because you engage the AP with the controls locked. It is designed to only shear when the internal gears in the servo somehow jam. However, in order to do this reliably, it does mean that sometimes they can fatigue after a lot of use and maybe you just got unlucky.

Jerrylane

I love flying!
Hi,
On my previous flight I had quite a bit of turbulence as I entered the cloud deck on a LPV approach and it is possible that I sheared it then but did not notice as the approach was to minimums in light rain and mist, broke out at 90 feet above DH 1/2 mile from approach end of runway, I may have forgot to disengage the localizer as I was very close to calling a missed approach.  I have flown at least 60+ LPV GPS approaches and about 15 in AI using this system with Garmin GMS480 and it has always been absolutely perfect.  I am an Army Helicopter Instructor Pilot and IFE so I take instrument flying very seriously and demand the highest and safest standards of my fellow aviators and students.
I believe it was most likely my fault as it has never been a problem before.

I spoke to Steve and he shipped me a new shear screw and I asked for 2nd day air but now see it is on its way UPS Ground to Florida and won't be here until Monday, I have a flight on Friday to Tallahassee from Sebring and I was hoping to have it fixed by then. 

Thanks, I hope this helps,
Jerry

Jerrylane

I love flying!
Steve was so very kind to overnight a new Shear Screw to me, it arrived yesterday and is installed. You guys are the best, Thanks So Very Much.

Jerry