C172 Autopilot Slow Gentle Oscillations in Roll

bpattison

I love flying!
In smooth air and using heading or GPS nav modes (Avidyne or Skyview) the aircraft gently turns a few degrees back and forth, with a regular cycle time of about 15 seconds, continuously. All other modes work great but have this roll anomaly. Anyone else experience this or know how to stop it? Otherwise the a/p and the Skyview system is awesome.

DBRV10

Check your Roll settings. You might need a sensitivity change and a fraction more roll gain.

It is possible that somehow your shear screw (safety shearing pin) has been broken and it still sort of works due to friction and the catching f the broken screw in the hole. Yes this can and does happen, especially with unrestrained controls in a nasty windy day.......

Douglas

searh my post-
Dynon certified install on a Cessna 172- Auto pilot roll slip and other frustrating issues...”
I went through a similar thing with my auto pilot. It ended up being a faulty roll servo. Dynon was helpful but we wasted valuable time and burnt up a bunch of money trying to figure it out before they finally sent a new one. Good luck, I hope your experience will be better then mine

bpattison

I love flying!
We actually replaced the roll servo about 10 hours ago. I have tried making a full series of small adjustments in each of the four parameters including gain, sensitivity, max bank, etc. The only notable thing is that with the sensitivity below 24 (max allowed is 24) the problem gets noticeably worse - same slow, continuous 16 second cycle side-to-side-to return, 2-3 degrees bank each direction. It improves markedly as the sensitivity is increased. It's like if the sensitivity setting could go to about 30 the problem would be solved. Flew to Montana two days ago, 3.5 hours each way, and slow rock & roll both ways. I was solo (social distancing?) so nobody along to get sick. I love the Skyview system otherwise, and especially compared to another system I often fly (new Bell 505) by another manufacturer...

DBRV10

What are the settings. Where is the AP servo linkage connected? (On the arm there are three holes. Is it on the outer most hole? Talk to the installer about this. It needs to be in as far as possible without going over centre.

bpattison

I love flying!
I will check but Dynon actually did the install and they did a great job. Same mechanic who did all the STC work with the Dynon engineers. One of their engineers has offered and wants to fly it but is hesitant until the Covid-19 issue settles down.

DBRV10

Did you check that somebody has not managed to break the shear screw. Sometimes they can break and still have enough grip to provide "some" control.

Just a thought.

bpattison

I love flying!
The shear pin and rigging were just checked and both are okay. It was suggested a software patch may be required. A bit annoying.

DBRV10

What are the settings. Where is the AP servo linkage connected? (On the arm there are three holes. Is it on the outer most hole? Talk to the installer about this. It needs to be in as far as possible without going over centre.

You have never responded to these questions......a software patch is NOT what you are needing.