Center line

jhgeo

Getting ready to cut the panel for my D-100 and noticed in the manual that I should mount the unit as close to the center line of the craft as possible (slip skid indicator). So I'm wondering what kind of tolerance I actually have?  All of my prelim layouts have it pretty much in front of me but I'll change it if it makes a big differance. The current layout has it about 12" center to center off center line.  :-/

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hmm. What page is that on? We don't actually care if the unit is centerline, so 12" off to the side is just fine. Most of our installs are pretty off center in fact.

Your setup sounds very common and will work just fine.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I think I see the line in the manual that's causing the confusion: "The unit must be aligned as close as possible with the longitudinal and lateral axes of the airplane."

What we're trying to say here is that the EFIS must be parallel with the roll axis; i.e., the back of the EFIS must be pointed in the direction of flight. You can have the EFIS pitched down relative to the plane, but not rolled or yawed.

We'll be expanding that description to be more explicit in future manuals. But, yes, you're fine mounting the EFIS to the left or right of the centerline of the plane.

jhgeo

Oh I get it. Are you saying that it should be square to the direction of travel or are you saying that it should be as near the CG in pitch and roll as possible. Not a big deal for me at this point for me since both those are covered in my install.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That's correct. The EFIS just needs to be square to the direction of travel, with the exception of panel tilt, which is allowed.