Changing altitude with Expert Autopilot v6.0

amolny

I love flying!
Let's say I'm cruising along at 6000' in ALT HOLD mode and I want to climb to 8000'. As best I can tell, these are the steps required:

1. Select ALT bug on left joystick knob
2. Set ALT bug to 8000'.
3. Go into Autopilot Menu and set pitch mode to VS.
4. Select VS bug on left joystick knob
5. Set VS bug to +500fpm. Autopilot then begins climbing to capture the new altitude.
[NOTE: If you set VS to +500 before setting the AP to VS mode, the VS bug gets reset to zero]

That is an awful lot of steps for such a simple change. I  tried using the NOSE UP and NOSE DN buttons with the autopilot in ALT HOLD mode but they had no effect.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks,
Adam Molny

60av8tor

You're doing nothing wrong - works just like certified A/Ps that I am used to using. Seems like a bit of button pushing when compared to the old system, but it is quick after a few uses. The beauty of the ugrade - and the reason for a few extra button pushes is the preslection choices and different modes available. I don't use the up/down buttons often, but the work just fine for me at adjusting the selected parameters once engaged.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Actually, you can shorten the sequence quite a bit by using the NOSE UP/DOWN buttons.

1) Adjust the alt bug to the new alt you want.

2) Press VS in the autopilot menu.

3) Press NOSE UP or NOSE DOWN to get the VS target you want.

The NOSE UP/NOSE DOWN is the same as bringing up the VS knob, but it only works when you are already in VS mode. So pressing it when you are still in ALT HOLD doesn't switch you to VS mode.  You need to be in VS first. By using NOSE UP/DOWN, you don't need to set a knob to VS to make the plane climb or descend.

You do need to change the alt bug first. If you are at 6,000', and the alt bug is at 6,000', and you press VS, it sequences right back to alt hold because you've hit your target right away. Move the alt bug first and this doesn't happen.

Also, if you have more than one screen in the plane, you can leave one knob as heading, one as alt, one as MAP, and the 4th as whatever you want, and you don't ever really need to set one to IAS or VS since NOSE UP/DOWN does those functions.

NOSE UP/DOWN actually does affect your altitude target in ALT HOLD mode, but only by a few hundred feet in case you engaged while you were at 6540' and wanted 6500' exactly.

The reason that the advanced AP doesn't just follow the alt bug is so that the system can handle pre-selected altitudes and allow you to put in an alt target before starting the climb or descent. The simplified mode does just follow any alt bug changes immediately.

Bruno

Adam
I have the same opinion you do..

Why go to 2-3 different page when all we had to do before was set the altitude with the left joystick then select whatever VS we wanted and we were on our way...

That is how it works in all the Boeings & Airbuses I've flown  and we can say that these are fairly sophisticated autopilots

Way to many buttons pushing/ twisting  for my taste

Is there a way to go back to the old way for those so inclined

Thanks

Bruno

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There is no paging around. Go to the Pitch menu. Spin in a new alt with the alt knob. Press VS, then press NOSE Up or NOSE DOWN to get the VS you want. All done, all on one page.

As far as we know, this is exactly the way a Airliner AP works. If you change the altitude bug on an airliner when in level flight it doesn't just suddenly go up or down until you give it a vertical speed command, just like our system.

Bruno

Hello Support

''There is no paging around. Go to the Pitch menu. Spin in a new alt with the alt knob. Press VS, then press NOSE Up or NOSE DOWN to get the VS you want. All done, all on one page.
---------------------
Ok it is worth a try, I'll give it a try next chance I get.

Thanks

Bruno

flaude

Works very well for me. I tried that yesterday and it is just perfect.

60av8tor

Works very well for me. I tried that yesterday and it is just perfect.

+2! Seems a bit cumbersome for the first few times, but is quick and easy after that. Very nice to have the ability to preselect parameters on the ground and for different phases of a flight.

dlloyd

Another way is set the altitude bug where you want, press and hold the autopilot button for control wheel steering, pitch up to whatever climb rate is desired, let off the button and the autopilot will take you to the new altitude. This will work if the autopilot was previously engaged or not.