circut breaker pops RV9  42 servos

Ronj41

I just had my 32 servos changed over to 42's after we determined the 32's were slipping on my RV9 install. I flew the airplane up to Lakeland from Naples Fl. with the 32"s and the A/P worked fine (no bumps just smoothe air)
The trip home was going great and the the bumps started I would say moderate. The next thing I knew the circut breaker had poped and the A/P was off. 5amp breaker. Is this enough or should I try a 7amp. This never happened with the 32 servos even in the turbulance, any suggestions.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
SV42s are 2A a piece, which should generally be OK on a 5A breaker. Is there anything else on the breaker besides the AP? Or maybe the breaker is not quite meeting its spec. It's not impossible for it to be the servo, but it's pretty unlikely.

You CAN go to 7A, but make sure the wire going to the servos are able to handle that load (you want the breaker to pop before the wires melt/smoke/burn)

Ronj41

The breaker is a stand alone breaker after other discussions the breaker may be weak. I failed to add that after I discovered the problem I reset the breaker and continued the flight home with no further problems A/P all the way . I don't think that the servos are a problem. If they are 2amp servos then a soft breaker won't hold up. I am going to try a new 5amp breaker before I use a 7amp just for the reasons you mentioned. Thanks for your imput.

RV9APlane

Huh???  I literally just installed my SV32 servos a couple weeks ago in my RV9A, and I am surprised by this post about having to change to 42's.  Can I get some understanding of why that was necessary?  I bought exactly what Dynon recommended.  Mind you I am one of the Blue Mountain suckers that have already had to de-install my $3500 Blue Mountain servos and sell them for $800 after that company went belly up.  I'm not liking the idea I might not have it right again.  

jakej

Bruce

Don't panic ;D - As an installer I don't see why you'd go with the SV32's, they work well in the RV7 & 9. As for Alt Hold it's an area that many don't appreciate is not just a 'bolt on and go' situation - there are so many items that have an impact on operations eg static port location/design, mechanical leverage & friction etc, etc.

Jake J

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
And also understand that if for some reason you do need to switch servo sizes, Dynon will swap them out at no charge (well, maybe besides shipping).

As Jake says, the SV32's are right in the vast majority of installs, but for some reason, every now and then, a 42 seems to work better for some people.

RV9APlane

Given that the characteristics of the RV9A should be virtually similar in any installation, I don't think I understand why they wouldn't work in even a minority of situations. Is the SV42 servo a direct swap or would I have to modify the brackets and/or the push rods?