Clock problems with D180 in newly minted RV 10

nvbGEgHyIqj

I have a D180 installed in my newly minted RV 10. All functions seem to be working great in the EFIS and the Engine monitor with 1 exception.
The clock does not keep the correct time.
The other thing that is wierd is that there is a clicking sound coming from the unit every 8 seconds.
I suspect the two may be related in some way.
Any sugestion on where to look?
Thanks
Wayne
30 hours

Brantel

The clicking is normal on a D180 and D120.. They all do that. It is calibrating something to do with the current sensor.

As for the time...Do you have a NMEA enabled GPS connected to the D180? If so, does it have a sat fix?

If not, you would need the KEEP ALIVE input powered up all the time and Dynon no longer suggest that you connect this wire. If you do not have a NMEA GPS and you do not have the KEEP ALIVE connected, the unit cannot and will not keep accurate time.

nvbGEgHyIqj

Thanks Brantel
I do not have anything hooked up to the D180. If I want accurate time, which I do, I will need to hook up keep alive power. I will check when I get to the hangar to see if I have done that or not. Any idea why Dynon does not recommend conecting a keep alive power?
Wayne

Brantel

There was some issues with connecting that wire...do a search for "keep alive" and there should be much reading on the subject.

jakej

Wayne

The best all round solutuion,IMO, is to install the backup battery, that wayyou have the clock keeping time and a 'failsafe' situation - Dynon says DO NOT use the keep alive wire.

Jake J :)