Compass Calibration - Help please

NormFox

My SkyView Classic comes up every time with a caution to perform a compass calibration.
When I get to the calibration screen it is slightly different from the manual.
GPS is green but the message is that data is already loaded for the 4 cardinal points.
I can hold the appropriate buttons for as long as I like but never get a success/saved confirmation.
The default option is always greyed out. I can see no way of proceeding.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Am I missing something?
Has anyone got a suggestion?

IMG_3613.thumb.jpeg.7abea2eaecdbe75d6b4e106d44cf5abd.jpeg

NormFox

Have you done the inflight compass calibration procedure yet?
No - thought the ground procedure would be the easy one.
Will have a crack at in-flight this weekend.
Does the box require both ground and in-flight to be done? My look at the manual suggested it was an optional procedure.

NormFox

Try just pressing a cardinal button just once & wait for approx 15 seconds until it says its done, then continue.
Pressed quickly. Pressed and held a few seconds. Pressed and held for 30+ sec.
Always the same result.

jakej

Ok, so you have done the ground cal & it says "Already have data for NORTH EAST SOUTH & WEST". Do the inflight Cal a GKC suggests - FWIW I'm never satisfied unless the 'counter' hits at least 125 despite the manual suggesting lower than that is okay. Try not to be too accurate with your turns CW & CCW, it's better to mix it up a bit, gets better cal results from my experience.;)

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The ground-only cal can be adequate, but won't be in many airplanes. If you're getting that message even after doing the ground calibration, the system is determining that the quality of the cal isn't high enough. Although, it sounds like you're not even able to get through the calibration, so that may be a different issue. For what it's worth, it's a single press to collect data, and you should see the screen change to indicate it's acquiring data during that timeframe after you push the button.

NormFox

Thank you for the suggestions.
The inflight calibration was the secret!
Never done one before and did not realise it was so different from the ground version.Yellow warning gone - all good.
Thanks again.