Course predictor

luigi692

Flying over wine country in Asti, Italy
On the SkyView map the course predictor is depicted as a thin white line of indefinite lenght. Then around the position of the aircraft there is a circle of variable diameter, depending on the scale. Most times the radius of the circle written somewhere along the girt is hard to find, and the course predictor is hard to see. It would be nice to have course predictor of user defined length such as, say, X minutes (flight time at current speed), or Y miles. It could also be made so that it is easy to see against the background of the map. Many other GPS have this very useful feature.

southtarnation

I love flying! Wiring, ...not so much.
On the SkyView map the course predictor is depicted as a thin white line of indefinite lenght. Then around the position of the aircraft there is a circle of variable diameter, depending on the scale. Most times the radius of the circle written somewhere along the girt is hard to find, and the course predictor is hard to see. It would be nice to have course predictor of user defined length such as, say, X minutes (flight time at current speed), or Y miles. It could also be made so that it is easy to see against the background of the map. Many other GPS have this very useful feature.

Thats a feature i use a lot on my Garmin portables and also would like to see it implemented.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Technically SkyView doesn't have any kind of course "predictor". SkyView has a thin line that is your current ground track. It's mean to be kind of light due to the fact that in track up it's just always straight up so it's not a heavy line that interferes with the rest of the map. So can I assume you are flying in north up? Also, are you using a 7" or 10" screen?

In order to understand this feature better in case we implement it, what is it used for when you use it? Is it used just to figure out the zoom of the screen, or as a ground speed estimator? How often do you change the setting for the time of this line? Should the line be on top of things like text and airports and block them, or underneath?

southtarnation

I love flying! Wiring, ...not so much.
Im not the op but, i use track up and on the portables the "line" stays in place. The feature that makes it nice is it can be set to either time or distance. Where will i be in 10 min? Or how far am i from...? I have mine set to 15 miles. When the tip of the line reaches a waypoint it announces "arriving at xxxxx" if the line tip penetrates airspace it warns of that too, like the tip of the line was the aircraft; affording you the set time or distance to prepare. Additionally, the line has tic marks on every five or one miles for reference. I believe the line covers all, as the top most overlay (like the airplane icon).

luigi692

Dynon support, I use the map North up. I use a 10" screen. On other devices that have the configurable "course predictor" I personally set it to 3 min flight time at current speed, and almost never change it (unless crossing the Atlantic, where I set it to 30 min). So I have this flashing line that starts at my fix and ends where I will be 3 min (or whatever other setting) later at the current ground speed and track. Of course it is continuously updated. It is useful for ex. when ATC asks me "how long before you enter X CTR" or "how long before you reach Y point " ? By comparing at a glance the lenght of the predictor (that in my case is 3 min. long) and my distance to the point I can answer swiftly with reasonable accuracy. That makes me sound very professional. As is, I have to look for the radius of the depicted circle, work out tmy distance from the point, turn that into flight time before I can answer.
Thank you.

luigi692

And, I forgot to say, we don't have full radar coverage here in Class D, E and F airspace, due to high terrain, so we are very often asked our next reporting point and estimate within 30 min flight time, for traffic info, and, due to weather, it's not always possible to follow the active route. That's why I think the configurable course predictor is so useful.
Thanks again

barbeau

I strongly support what Luigi692 said. It should be up to the pilot to set up that line with distance or time prediction informations.