D-180 OAT?

13brv3

Greetings,

I originally installed the 2-wire OAT that came with the D-180, and now that I'm in the process of hooking everything up, I've realized that I can't spare the GP input that the OAT would use on the EMS side of the D-180. I've got a 3-wire OAT on order, and plan to connect it via the EDC, so that should fix me up.

I was curious though, why is the 2-wire OAT sent, rather than the 3-wire? It would seem to me that the 3-wire through the EDC is a better choice, since it doesn't use up a GP input. I also can't think of any reason to have an OAT alarm set, which negates another reason for having it on the EMS side.

BTW, I've cut the wires short on the current 2-wire OAT, so I won't be able to send it back. I mention this only because I'm sure you would offer to take it back otherwise.

Thanks,
Rusty (almost all hooked up)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The two-wire is supplied with the D180 because of a few reasons:

It's cheaper

The EMS is theoretically more accurate

The OAT comes with a fuel injected engine package that is the same for a EMS-D10, EMS-D120, or a D180, so the OAT is actually tied to an engine package, not the main product you order.

13brv3

Thanks for the reply. I had noticed that the 2-wire was about half the price of the 3-wire, and figured that was most of the reason for using it.

It still seems like a waste of a GP input on the EMS side, especially now that Dynon is adding so many cool new functions for the GP inputs. I could really use 4 GP inputs, even without the OAT.

Thanks,
Rusty