D100 & D120 in Samba XLA

jabirujim

I am currently building a Samba XLA with a Jabiru 3300 and installing a D100 and D120.  Where do I mount the Remote Compas ?? I was going to mount it under the seat as far away from the Engine and Instruments as possible.  Any advise ??

Also: What's the current status of DSAB ??

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
In almost all airplanes, the tailcone works really well. Under the seat causes an issue because things in your pocket could cause a problem. If it's your only option, under the seat isn't horrible, but we'd prefer to see it somewhere else.

DSAB currently allows you to see the EFIS and HSI on the EMS, and the EMS on the EFIS. The only thing it doesn't do today is allow you to control the EMS on the EFIS and the EFIS on the EMS.

fabjab

I second that under the seat is not a great idea... :-?

I have my remote compass in the tailcone and once packed my mobile phone (switched off) in the rear luggage area. That is still about 2ft from the remote compass. In the flight, heading was off by about 30deg and winds indicated about 60knots (probably about 20 real). (Not a nice feeling while crossing some mountain ridges)

Problem was that the belt clip for the mobile phone uses magnets as closing system. :eek:

Something silly in your pocket could realy mess up the compass under the seat.

jabirujim

Thanks for the input,
I think i will try going down the rear fuesalage as far as possibel. Tail section is difficult enough from an accessability perspective, aslo electric Trim in elevator and Strobe on Tail. For some reason I was trying to keep the interface cable as short as possible. From what you are saying 20 to 30 Feet should be OK.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Don't worry about the length of the cable. It should work for hundreds of feet.

Strobes aren't generally an issue, and the electric trim would only be an issue when it was running if it was an issue at all. You don't need to really stuff it back there. Many people just put it about 1 foot behind the rear storage bulkhead.

jabirujim

We actually came to that conclusion earlier today. We are instaling a Bracket about 3 feet behind the Cockpit Rear Bulkhead. It will still be accessable in the event of it requiring attention.

Thanks for your help