D100 fully coupled approaches.... when? (if ever)

Alfio

Dynon,

I've had our D100/D120/HS34 running in our RV9A for 4 1/2 years now and loving it. There was a plan not too long ago that Dynon would provide the D100 units with the capability of fully coupled approaches with the AP76... which was then discontinued. My understanding was that development work would be focused on the Skyview, and when the autopilot software was working there, there would be some migration back to the D100.

I was disappointed to see the last D100 series firmware upgrade not have the coupled approach capability in it. Is the D100 series really "dead" as far as (that) feature improvement? 

I believe that Dynon had mentioned in the past that the idea was to get the Skyview project well under way, and then port over the autopilot code to the D100.  I for one would certainly hope that there is some glimmer of hope that this feature is being worked-on for the D100 now.

If it sounds like a complaint, well I'm not... (well, yes, maybe just a little). :'(

Alfio

Alfio

Dynon,

Maybe you missed my question:

D100 fully coupled approaches (i.e. vertical servo coupling).... when?

Thanks.

Alfio

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Hi Alfio,

Thanks for your patience. We don't have anything new to announce right now, although we'll be re-visiting this topic shortly here inside Dynon and hope to have more to say soon.

stevelindell

Normally Dynon is very responsive but this silence is disrespectful of customers who have bought and enjoy the fine legacey products. If it's 100% Skyview from here on out and no further resources to the D series, please just say so. If on the other hand, we just maybe get one more autopilot update we would be delighted to hear it's a definite maybe.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
You're right. We actually hold up the AP76 as the way not to announce and plan things around here. The whole truth, which isn't really a status change (but it's the truth): Yes, the D10/D100 series of products are considered complete as far as feature development goes, but we haven't officially "closed the door" on an AP76. That said, do I ever expect us to take the project out of hibernation at this point? I don't. I (personal estimation here) give it a sub 10% chance of it actually happening at this point.

So I wouldn't characterize it as a "definite maybe", but more of a "not completely impossible" (but not much above that).

Michael Schofield
Marketing Manager
Dynon Avionics

stevelindell

Thanks for the straight up answer. I think we all understand the business case and are realistic about the choices you need to make. You certainly need to sustain a competitive edge and that's with the Skyview program not the D series.

dodsond

I'm bummed. I sold a TruTrak for the Dynon primarily to integrate the interface to the PFD, but partly for the promised vertical modes. The current autopilot is adequate, at least we have altitude pre-select, but I would really like airspeed climbs and selectable vertical speed descents. Coupled approach is something I would use but not as often so I don't miss that too much.

It is years in the future I hope, but that decision will get me looking at the Garmin products again. It would have been a no brainer upgrade to Skyview otherwise. That will also be my advice when asked for a recommendation. Look at Skyview, but look at Garmin too. Until today, it was Dynon all the way. I do like my D-1xx series stuff.

Alfio

Thanks for the reply Michael. Not what I really wanted to hear of course, but I understand the business case. It is just that when you are on the other side of the fence, perspectives are a little different.

There's a poll being taken on VAF
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=113281

Not many responses yet, but I am surprised that out of 14 responses (at this time),  roughly 50% are expecting  the vertical coupling feature.

May I suggest that if you don't wish to restart the AP76 product development, you could at least implement the additional (vertical guidance) code into the D100. Those of us with HS34 could then use the vertical coupling feature. In my case, I actually don't have room for an additional AP76 in the panel.

Still keeping my fingers crossed...