D100 series display brightness

LarGriff

I just received an EFIS-D100 and EMS-D120.  Powered them up and they look great on the bench, but took them outside and I can barely read them in full sunlight, either direct or indirect.  Anyone have any actual flying experience with the 7" displays under a bubble canopy, i.e. RV-7?  I've flown with a friend who has a D-10A and the brightness was okay, not spectacular, but good enough to convince me to order two 7" units.  But it turns out the 7" units are not as bright as the smaller units.  Brightness is only 400 nits compared to 450 nits on the smaller units.  About 12% difference.  I called Dynon to ask if there's any way to increase the brightness and was told, "It is what it is."  So, please, someone tell me they've flown theirs in full sunlight and are satisfied!

meljordan

I have the same combination of D100 and D120 in my RV-6A. I just got back from flying to an from Sun-N-Fun, and live in Tucson. While the display is not quite as brite as the D10A (which I also have as a backup instrument), I didn't find them difficult to see in actual flight at any time, including Arizona, Texas, New Mexico or Florida. I think you will find the display works quite well once you have them in your panel and are sitting behind the units. Of course, you always have the 30 day money back return option that Dynon offers, but I really enjoyed my 21 hours flying across the country and back with them.

Best Regards,
Mel Jordan
Tucson, AZ
RV-6A (tip up canopy)