D100 side slip inclinometer calibration (zero)

landwerlen

if i understand the D100 system correctly, pitch and roll originate from the ahrs that is mounted in the display. it also incorporates the accelerometer for the side-slip indicator.

it would be nice for my installation to have a side-slip zero calibration similiar to the SPDCAL. the instrument panel was cut on a cnc router and appears to be straight and level, but in the hangar the 'ball' is off center. the AHRS shows 0 degrees roll.

i could spend hundreds of dollars to recut a new panel to compensate for the error, but a software 'zero/center' would be awesome.

NOTE: most of the certified (and maybe other non-certified systems im unaware of) EFIS systems have a static leveling program that would be run at initial system setup that would compensate for small installation errors.

the system might already incorporate something like this, and im not smart enough to have found it.

thanks.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Before you go and re-cut a panel, grab a level (digital or liquid) and put it on the bezel of the D100 and see if it reads level. If it doesn't, then you probably have a hangar or gear that aren't perfectly level. If it does read level, then we might want to take a look at it.

The reason we don't have a "zero" on the ball is that the math folds into all the other AHRS math and isn't easy to implement. Overall, we haven't had many issues with this so it hasn't rated as worth it.

landwerlen

im getting leveling info for the aircraft as we speak. the aircraft is czech built so response time is not as quick as you guys.

the ball is centered with a level unit. that isnt the issue. the issue is if a known installation error is introduced the ball will be forever off. if that cant be resloved with software, then the only solution i can think of is to cut another panel that installs the display level to aircraft to lateral level.

if the unit is already installed level, then you are correct, the gear is suspect.

the unit is showing a 1/2 ball deflection with .6 degrees out of level.

i dont think the dynon is at fault at all. i was just hoping to use a software calibration to offset a crooked install.