D100: What does %SLP mean?

Polaris

Still unable to use my roll servo (see unusually bad attitudes post below) and during flight test yesterday noted on the setup-autopilot-status page that under the roll servo info it reads %SLP 048. The pitch servo which is functioning normally reads 0%. I have the torque value for roll set at 100% but the AP will not capture in any lateral mode HDG/TRK/NAV with slip indication showing most of the time.  What does %SLP mean and any ideas what is to blame here? Mike.

Attachments

• image_021.jpg
    image_021.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 178

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Incidentally, that 048% slip means that nearly half of the time the servo is slipping.

So if the torque is turned all the way up, and this is new behavior on a previously-functioning system, then either you have some kind of mechanical binding that's new, or there's an issue with the servo or the way its installed. Is there anything that's been physically installed near the servo recently?

Polaris

Thanks for the feedback. The torque is set at 100% and nothing has been altered on the acft. There is no binding on the ailerons but perhaps the connection between the servo and the aileron push rod is slipping. Will be checking that and will get back with the result. Would a servo test on the ground reveal anything? Thanks, Mike.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The "slipping" that the servo is reporting is what happens when the servo tries to move or hold the servo, but is unable to because the outside forces (aircraft control forces, turbulence, or pilot over-riding using the stick) are overcoming the servo's control authority. If you engage the servo test mode, then, when it's in any one of the positions it holds, over-ride the servo in each axis by moving the stick. Does the resistance in pitch feel signifigantly different than in roll?

Polaris

Thanks for that, makes sense. Another test flight today in smooth air and the roll servo indicated slip all of the time, in all lateral modes with pitch servo engaged and disengaged. Changed all roll servo parameters in flight but no difference. The pitch servo resistance when tested on the ground and set to 100% is significantly harder to override than the roll servo at similar torque setting. I checked the aileron push rod and servo linkages and nothing is slipping or binding. What's frustrating here is that except for it now being winter with sub zero OAT, nothing else has changed on or in my ship that might explain this behavior. Are there any software avenues available to explore?   :-[Thanks, mike.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I think you might have a physical issue with the servo that's causing it to think that it to not generate as much torque as it should. Please get in touch with our technical support team directly at 425-402-0433 or support at dynonavionics dot com.

Polaris

Thanks I'll do that. Hate it though when a thread ends in a phone number. Anyone else had a servo go bad on them? Been able to ressurect one through foul means or fair? Found out later what the reason was?  :-?