D10A blank display with temperature of 1 degree F

valerieflyer

I love flying!
Hi,

Any thoughts on this?  My husband took off this morning after it had been -17C overnight in Oklahoma.  It was VMC so he took off with both of our D10As having blank displays.  Operating spec if for these to work down to -30C.  The engine on the plane had been preheated but the cabin had not been heated.  After the cabin warmed up, the Dynons started up and worked normally.

What are the coldest temps we can count on the display working? Never seen this problem before but both units were affected.

Valerie, ATP CFI
Wittman Tailwind, Cirrus SR22

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Valerie,
The D10A is tested operationally down to -30C, and should work down there. The only issue can be that the screen is dimmer when starting at those temperatures, and can take some time to warm up. I don't have a solid answer for you on exactly what temp full brightness can be expected instantly, but it is above 0C. Any temp below that will require some warm up time for full brightness but generally the screen can be seen.

Did you power them on from the aircraft power, or by using the internal backup battery? The internal battery sometimes does not have enough to get them going at these temps, and that can persist even if you switch to aircraft power. The backup will work once they are on.

Only future suggestion if you have an issue is to power them off and then back on once the alternator is online, which gives them the most voltage to start up with the most "kick". If it persists after this, we may want to have a look at them.

valerieflyer

I love flying!
Thanks for the reply. I had the temp wrong, it was actually -11F (-23C) so outside of the published op specs. It may not have been actually that cold on engine start though.

The plane was taxied for 5 minutes and then flying for another 8 to 10 min before one display popped on and shortly thereafter the other display came on. The displays were started on ships power with a flip of the avionics switch to get full battery V with alternator running - usually 14.1 V. One display came on at a good brightness while the other display (the one that took longer to start up) was dim at first.

Valerie