D10A cycles on and off

Acropilot

Went out to fly today and when I turned on the master the D10A Came on then in 2-3 seconds it turned off.  It will not stay on with aircraft power or internal battery. I disconnected the 25DB cable and it still will not turn on and stay on. Withe the aircraft power on the unit will cycle on and off every 2-3 seconds.

I have the D10A with remote compass, temperature probe, and Altitude servo.

It was working fine the last time I flew, about a week ago.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Try disconnecting the internal battery to see if that changes anything. Beyond that, contact technical support at 425-402-0433 or at support at dynonavionics.com too see about an RMA.

Acropilot

I will try to disconnect the battery but it is not easy since there is very little room withouth removing the unit.

This will be the second D10A unit to go out on me, the first one lasted 6 months, this on lasted 11months. I am disappointed in the reliability, although it seems others are not having the issues. Maybe the 3rd one will be the one that will work a long time.

DBRV10

Darwin, our first D10 now has probably 1200-1300 hours on it and our 2 new panels about 160 each......... reliability is usually good.

What else is there to check? You should have a long and hard look with a critical eye of your plane and its environment power supply etc to see what could be causing that.

Wish I could wave a magic wand for you!

DB :)

Acropilot

When I say it cycles I mean that the blue screen comes up for 2-3 seconds and then it shuts down again. if, of course, it is on the battery it shuts off only once. Just wanted to clarify my original explaination.

As for reliability, the first D10A quit for a totally different reason and lasted 6 months, this one, which is a repalcement lasted 11 months. when everything is working I can't say enough good things about it. And you may be right, it could be something in my plane which I have yet to find. There are 5 Dynons on our local field and none of those are having any problems. I also give flight instruction in a couple of these planes, including IFR, I have probably help to sell a couple. I just hate being without it and it is a pain to get out. Therefore the disapointment.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If you check things out and don't come up with anything on your end, call tech support for sure, and do let them know that this isn't your first unit failure.

peterjaypriest

I love flying!
My first post to this great forum...

Resurrecting this old thread because I have encountered the "cycles on and off" issue, and wonder what the outcome was for the original poster.

Mine is a new D10A install, complete with the internal battery, remote compass, OAT, and Dynon GPS.  Everything seemed to connect and play well.  After installing, I taxied to the compass rose to calibrate the EDC-D10A.  While navigating the menus, the unit powered off, and then back on, then off, etc.  So, taxied back to the hangar.

In the hangar, I double checked what I could, and turned on the master to power on the unit.  After a few minutes, it powered off and on again, as before.  I turned off the master and the unit remained dark.  I powered it on with the "On" button so it was getting power only from the internal battery (Master switch remained off.)  And again, within a few seconds, it powered off, on, etc.

My thought was it may be overheating.  So, I reduced the screen brightness (it had been set to maximum brightness.)  With the reduced brightness, it appeared to behave, and stayed powered up.  But I have tested this very little.

This doesn't appear to be a very common problem, from what I can tell...

Any updates on this issue?

Thanks,

Peter

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We don't have any update on any systemic causes - but you should definitely get in touch with our support team at 425-402-0433 or support at dynonavionics dot com.

peterjaypriest

I love flying!
Thought I'd post an update to close this out.

Again, I'd purchased this EFIS used, from a parted-out homebuilt.  It came with the remote  magnetometer, also used.  I bought a new battery, temperature probe and GPS antenna, and installed per the STC instructions.  Unit cycled off and on after about 5 minutes.  Repeatable event.  Wiring checked- nothing found.  But unit would not stay on.  On the bench, without the temp probe, remote magnetometer, and antenna, it would stay on.

So I sent the D10A back to Dynon where they could not duplicate the problem.  Still, they replaced most of the innards.  The unit came back to me and was installed back in the airplane. 

Since then, I've flown it several times- about 3 hours in total, and it has been perfect- no issues.

I love, love, love this D10A!!! Awesome device!!!

Now if I could only install the servos legally...hope that's coming!

Peter