D10A lifespan

Janekom

I love flying!
I have a D10A that has been working for close to 12 years and about 400 flight hours that has gone faulty. The question is - what is the average lifespan of a product like this and secondly is it worthwile to send it in for a repair ( flat rate of $450 ) keeping in mind expensive shipping there and back.

rockyjs

I went through the same thought process. My D10A had a screen delamination problem but it's tied to my FD-180. I normally use the D10A to display engine instruments and get the addition of a backup EFIS capability. I sent mine in about two weeks ago and received a return tracking notice this afternoon. If the D10A is standalone in your system it's a much tougher decision. I was impressed by the Garmin G5 but for me it was worth it to get the D10A repaired.

Janekom

I love flying!
I have asked supporrt at Dynon a number of question about ageing products and if they have figures on what to expect. I have asked if they have a maintenance or upgrade plan on this constantly growing number or aged/old products out there. Maybe one of them can reply here?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Janekom - I think your first sentence is a pretty good example of what we expect from our products: That they're quite reliable, but like anything, not invulnerable to failure, but that failures are uncommon and repairable. We don't publish average lifespan or other statistical information. Whether it's worth the repair or not is ultimately something that each customer needs to decide for themselves.

We don't have an upgrade plan at the moment (we have in the past, we may in the future, but no promises). While we don't have any extended warranties or maintenance plans at the moment, we do have reasonable flat-rate repair fees for all of our products. Those can be seen in the "Out of Warranty Repairs" section of https://www.dynonavionics.com/warranty-returns.php.