D180 D100 on a Van's RV12

2johns

I have a D180 and a D100 plus a Garmin 496 connected with the standard van's wiring harness. All of them have stand by batteries and the D100 is also connected to the static system. If I lose my primary power, What info will I still have. Also, if I lose my standby power on the D180, What Info will I continue to have on the D100. Thanks.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The FlightDEK-D180 and the EFIS-D100 both require their own connection to Pitot, Static, and optionally AOA. They cannot "share" Pitot, Static, or AOA data electronically where only one unit is plumbed with Pitot, Static, and AOA.

When the FlightDEK-D180 and EFIS-D100 (with the optional backup battery installed, and in good condition) are powered on, and primary power is lost, a message pops up that they will shut down in 30 second unless acknowledged. So if you don't look at them during those 30 seconds and push the acknowledge button, they will shut down. If this happens, you can power them up on backup battery power by pushing and holding Button 1.

The (internal) backup batteries on the FlightDEK-D180 and EFIS-D100 should, when reasonably new, power the unit for at least one hour. The backup batteries power the unit in its normal operation and anything connected directly to it such as engine sensors for the EMS side of the FlightDEK-D180.

The EDC-D10A remote magnetometer is a bit complicated. The easiest, best, most redundant method is to have one EDC-D10A for the FlightDEK-D180 and one EDC-D10A for the EFIS-D100. The two units can share a single EDC-D10A, but if the unit that the EDC-D10A is directly connected to fails / loses power (backup battery is discharged), there's no longer any "passthrough" of the heading and OAT data to the other unit (there's no failover of the EDC-D10A to the second unit).

In a FlightDEK-D180 plus EFIS-D100 combination, it's common to configure the FlightDEK-D180 to display full or partial screen PFD, and have the EFIS-D100 display full or partial screen EMS. The SOURCE of the EMS (engine data) is the FlightDEK-D180 - all engine sensors are connected directly to it. If the FlightDEK-D180 fails or loses power (backup battery is exhausted), the EFIS-D100 can longer be able to display engine data - the source of the engine data is no longer available.

I have a D180 and a D100 plus a Garmin 496 connected with the standard van's wiring harness.  All of them have stand by batteries and the D100 is also connected to the static system.  If I lose my primary power,  What info will I still have.  Also, if I lose my standby power on the D180, What Info will I continue to have on the D100.  Thanks.