D37 Harness Wiring

John S

I am currently installing a SkyView HDX System in a Lycoming powered Van's RV-6 using the latest available documentation. This includes the Dec 21 Installation Guide and Revision C of the Typical SkyView HDX Wiring Diagram. I have 3 questions as follows:

1. The Dynon supplied EMS D37 Harness includes a triple twisted connection for the Fuel Flow Sensor. The 3 wires are physically connected to Pin 13 (Yellow) Pulse Out, Pin 14 (Black) Power Ground and Pin 15 (Red) Power In. This configuration contrasts with the information in the Installation Guide and the Wiring Diagram as shown below:
PinInstallation Guide Table 38Installation Guide Table 125Typical HDX Wiring DiagramActual D37 Harness
13Yellow
14YellowYellowYellowBlack
15RedRedRedRed
16BlackBlackBlack

Question 1 - Is the actual D37 Harness incorrectly configured or is the supporting information in error?

2. Sheet 12/15 of the Typical Wiring Diagram shows Pin17 of the EMS D37 Harness as providing Power Ground to 3 separate Sensors. Question 2 - Instead of just using the wire from Pin 17 could I also use the Grounds at Pin 13 and Pin 30 as well?

3. The EMS D37 Harness and the Display D37 Harness both contain wires that will not be used in my installation. Question 3 - Should these wires be removed from the Harness and Connector altogether or can they be cut back to a suitable length and have their cut wires covered by Heat Shrink?

John S

Sorry I got the Actual D37 Harness details in my post wrong. They are:

PinActual D37 Harness
13Black
14Yellow
15Red

That's still different to the supporting information so my Question 1 still stands.

Stevec

Pins 14 and 15 are the important ones and you could use either pins 13 or 16 as the ground. The ground pins are there to provide a ground termination for any of the various sensors connected.
when I looked at what had been done on the aircraft I purchased the installer had run all of the black ground wires from the harness to the earth forest. This meant that all sensor grounds had to also be terminated at the ground forest. There have been no problems to date but in my mind this is not ideal but the work involved to rerun the wires would involve splicing wires which I dont want to do.
As far as the extra unused wires go I would take the time to remove them from the harness. If you use the correct tool they can be removed undamaged and if at a later date you wish to use them you can just reinsert them and you have a nice long correctly coloured wire to run to the sensor. If you cut them off you will end up with splices if you want to use them later.