Database Expired Warning, One Day Early?

Lon

Does the Dynon Skyview HDX give a "Database Expired" warning one day in advance? I ask, because today is April 22nd, and I got a "Database Expired" warning this morning. But according to the Dynon download page (and the FAA's page too), the next update doesn't become effective until tomorrow, April 23rd. (I thought maybe that my Dynon's system date was wrong, but it appears from the Installation Manual that the HDX gets it's time from a GPS source, so I presume that's where it gets the date too.) I got the "Database Expired" warning at 10 am Pacific Daylight Savings Time, so even if the Dynon uses Zulu time to determine the date, it was still April 22nd, because 10 am Pacific Daylight Savings Time is 1700 Zulu time the same day.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
If you have Seattle Avionics charts/diagrams - it could have possibly been that; their dates might be aligned slightly differently. Any chance that's it?

ty1295

Mine did the same thing, finally got new file to plane today to update.

rfazio1951

Always seems to be a day early on mine also. I ignore it. But why a day early?

Lon

If you have Seattle Avionics charts/diagrams - it could have possibly been that; their dates might be aligned slightly differently. Any chance that's it?
No. I don’t have the Seattle Avionics charts — just Dynon’s.

owenssonex

Same thing for me. I suspect the chart expiration algorithm is not anticipating leap year.

Lon

Same thing for me. I suspect the chart expiration algorithm is not anticipating leap year.
Aah . . . This is a very logical and likely explanation. It means, though, that it'll continue to happen in the future, unless and until Dynon revises the chart expiration algorithm. Fortunately, it simply means that we'll be told we need to update one day before we actually have to. So ignoring it will not put us out of compliance. Thanks for responding.

airguy

Aah . . . This is a very logical and likely explanation. It means, though, that it'll continue to happen in the future, unless and until Dynon revises the chart expiration algorithm. Fortunately, it simply means that we'll be told we need to update one day before we actually have to. So ignoring it will not put us out of compliance. Thanks for responding.

Somehow, I think it's quite likely that will be included in a software update prior to the next Leap Year event.

Lon

Somehow, I think it's quite likely that will be included in a software update prior to the next Leap Year event.
But if the algorithm calls for an update every 28 days, won’t it continue to be off every month?

swatson999

And here it is today, one day early...interestingly, the SA ChartData Manager shows their databases expiring 5/20/20 (I'm updating a USB stick now)

Capture.JPG

And the SV simply says "Aviation", so I don't know if that means SA, or Dynon's files, or both.

screenshot-N660WS-SN21843-15.4.7.5568-20200520-141252-016-en_US.png

djones

Administrator
Staff member
That is the Aviation data base warning. Here is a screenshot with the SA charts as well. I will check with engineering to see where they stand with the early expiration issue.
screenshot-N151E-SN64137-16.0.A4.6619-20200520-193130-915-en_US.png

GalinHdz

I flew yesterday and again got the "Database No Longer Current" warning one day early. I have two 7" Skyview Classic displays both running software Version 15.4.7 and don't have or use Seattle Avionics Databases. 🤔

Last edited:

swatson999

OK...so there seem to be several issues here. One with the SV Aviation database, one with the SA tool, and who knows about the SA data itself when loaded into SV?

BTW, for SA, it's already showing (see above screen capture) an early expiration for the next two data cycles. FAA says the data expires 18 June and 16 July. SA shows 17 June and 15 July.