Database provider disappointment

madb1rd

Well, I've long been disappointed with Seattle Avionics refusal to develop a simple OS app for installing the databases on Macs. It's like they are stuck in the IBM 80's. Now with Airmate providing exactly this, for a third of the cost I have to suggest that Seattle Avionics isn't going to be around much longer. Not only does Airmate support OS, they support iOS and can update databases directly from an iPhone, according to their promotional materials. Anybody use, them or this feature, and would you care to report how well it works?

I don't know about others but I fly a lot and during those periods where the data sets are transitioning,,, like during Airventure. Being able to stay current with my iPhone would be very handy.

So, you might ask, why not bail on SA? Well, some years ago they offered a lifetime subscription for a reasonable cost so my Scottish blood can't see any other option other than trying to convince SA to join the 21st century. I'm sure they could hire a 13 year old OS geek to develop an OS app. Or find one who is 16 and give them free flying lessons to develop the app.

soarhead

I tried Seattle Avionics and was able to update directly to my HDX using their slingshot feature but that required using their EFB program. It was super easy to update but I much prefer Foreflight for the EFB. I haven't used a windows product in almost 30 years and wasn't going to start now.

I then used PocketFMS which is web browser based and super easy but only provides Nav and Obstacle data.

I have been using Airmate for the past 24 months. While it provides Nav and Obstacle data along with IFR charts, approach plates, aerodrome charts and VFR sectionals, patience is needed. It takes a looooong time to download everything. You can use the Mac OS App or a web browser using the supplied download links. I use the latter method most often because without an APP interface, it just works better. I have used the iOS app and it works great for the Nav and Obstacle data, even right off my iPad mini onto a stick and then into the HDX. Plates and charts is another matter. It often hangs up.

Having said that, anytime I have ever had an issue, I send an email and get a very quick response. Is it perfect? No, not yet but it is better value than the other two I have tried.

Rhino

Not that I disagree about SA, but 'IBM 80's'? Windows has a 20% market share vs 6% for OS X. The problem is not being behind the times. The problem is simply ignoring the market. 6%, while numerically small, is still a huge number when you consider the overall market size. SA is also not alone in that regard. Mobile apps go the opposite way. Almost all mobile aviation apps are written for iOS, many of them exclusively, even though Android has a market share nearly three times the size of iOS. I quit trying to apply logic to these folks long ago, as they don't seem to have any.