Different Boot Screen?

Marc_J._Zeitlin

So I recently has one of my two 10" HDX screens repaired. I had been running version 15.4.7, but after the repair the firmware was updated to 16.3.2. After installation, I updated my other HDX screen and all the components to 16.3.2 as well.

The repaired HDX screen shows a colorful "FlyDynon" logo at bootup. It (and the other HDX screen) showed a "Dynon HDX" logo on bootup when on version 15.4.7, so I figured "well, they must have changed the bootup logo when moving to version 16". But after I updated the 2nd HDX screen to 16.3.2, it still had the "Dynon HDX" logo on it. Now, I know that both HDX's and all components are at the same firmware level of 16.3.2, because I don't get any error messages and everything is working fine.

This is obviously not critical, but I'm just wondering where the bootup logo is defined, and why I have one screen with the newer logo and one screen with the older logo, even though both are on the same firmware level. Anyone know?

kurtfly

I love flying!
I would bet the hardware changed. With all the supply chain issues DYNON had to use different hardware.

RV8JD

The code with the boot screen may be burned into an EPROM, thus it could be new hardware with the new boot screen.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

The code with the boot screen may be burned into an EPROM, thus it could be new hardware with the new boot screen.
Hmmm. Could be. The interesting thing about that, though, is that the refurbished screen has a serial # LOWER than that of the original right hand HDX screen. So was probably MFG'd earlier. Which boot screen do the latest units that currently ship have? If it's in hardware, it would be interesting to know at what S/N the change occurred. It's just weird to have two supposedly identical units (from a firmware standpoint) have a different boot screen.

ty1295

I talked to Dynon about this as I wanted to do something custom, and aside from Vans and Dynon the option is very limited for sure. Now getting them to match with the newer Dynon version, I imagine if you sent other screen back they would probably do that.

swatson999

I talked to Dynon about this as I wanted to do something custom, and aside from Vans and Dynon the option is very limited for sure. Now getting them to match with the newer Dynon version, I imagine if you sent other screen back they would probably do that.
Yeah, it's a bit of a shame that you can't make the splash screen just any image you want...

Janekom

I love flying!
I had exactly the same on a D1000T that was sent in. It came back with the new Flydynon screen on boot up but my other unit still has the old logo. Latest firmware has been uploaded on all component.

WmInce

I had exactly the same on a D1000T that was sent in. It came back with the new Flydynon screen on boot up but my other unit still has the old logo. Latest firmware has been uploaded on all component.
x2

Except mine were SV-D700's.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
It's tied to the internal hardware version, of which there are multiple versions. Newer internal electronics (which are sometimes deployed on older screens when they need repair) have the FLYDYNON logo. Previous versions have the legacy SkyView branding. For complicated reasons - that is specific to the hardware - we haven't homogenized them.