Digital airspeed and altitude blocks

JetJockey

Would anyone else like to see larger airspeed and altitude digital readouts on the D-10A? I really like the new display layout but the numbers are just too small for quick reference. I'd like to see something close in size to the numbers that Dynon used on the original screen layout. If nothing else, an option to make them larger would be a really nice feature.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The "classic" style is still there, under SETUP->STYLE. Classic style didn't get some of screen symbology updates that modern style has, though, like the trend indicators and vertical VSI. It's still there though, exactly the way it used to be though, if you prefer it.

JetJockey

The problem is I definitely prefer the "Modern" layout since it is very similar to the display in the Boeing I also fly. The digital portion is just too small. Initially I thought I would be able to adapt to the small size of the numbers but I still find myself constantly referencing my backup ASI and altimeter rather than the EFIS display. An increase in size of something around 50% would make a huge difference in usability without unnecessarily obscuring the rest of the display. Please consider doing this for those of us that don't have the same vision we had 30 years ago!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We hear ya, but, unfortunately, we've got space issues against other screen elements near the middle of the screen, including the horizon line itself.

AmphibFlyer

I love my D-10A, but have been chafing at this one thing--the airspeed indications--right from the start. When landing my SeaRey, I never look at the D-10A for airspeed. Neither the digits, nor the tape register on me quickly enough for comfort, so I always look at the 2.5 inch steam gauge that i installed just for an emergency backup.

The D-10A's digits are too small and, after all, they're digits. The tape is too narrow to comprehend quickly, so I usually have it turned off.

What I really want is a pointer that changes angle, exactly like the little steam gauge, and that is big enough to see at a glance.

Of course, there are at least two points of view on this subject.

To illustrate that, here's part of a recent online conversation about the subject on a SeaRey builders' website:

Steve ...  - Mar 14, 2010  
    It’s going to be an interesting decision to make. For the kind of flying I do at work glass is a huge asset, but there is more than one pilot and we fly in a relatively safe environment. (high altitude, IFR, and when we’re low or tired we’ve got lots of eyeballs backstopping each other.). I’ve got 10,0something hours in glass cockpit aircraft and like it for some things, but can see where it could be a case of too much information in a GA aircraft if used incorrectly.

In the environment I’ll be operating the ‘Rey in I don’t want to have my head inside the cockpit interpreting instruments when it should be outside flying the aircraft. I also know from the kind of pilot I am that in some cases I work better with the “TLAR information” presented by dials than the "accurate to 2 decimal points information" coming from digital readouts. I want my critical information like airspeed and altitude coming from analog round dials where I can interpret it quickly while low and slow. For instance I had told John that I was going to use the –120 for my pitch trim information but now I’m leaning back toward the LED display, and his comment about having to go to a different page to access it is well taken. In that vein I’ve ordered the ACI flap controller for it’s simplicity though it’s going to take a little adjustment getting used to pushing a button instead of moving a lever.

Dennis ... - Mar 15, 2010  
    Steve,   just having it doesn't mean you'll need to keep your head in the cockpit.   You wanted simple and these days this technology doesn't get any simpler or more reliable for that matter (my ALT has bit the dust so I'm just discarding it!).   You can display what functions you're interested in seeing.   The rest you can turn off....

Ed ... - Mar 15, 2010
    If its a good glass device - it enables you to keep your head out of the cockpit - that's why I went with an EMS instead of gauges.   Instead of having to do a scan - a big flashing warning on the screen and a voice alert in your headset tell you about the problem   - to me this makes it "much" easier to have more fun flying.
As far as ADAHRS,   those definitely offer less value and can be confusing depending on the unit you selected.   For example, I would prefer standard airspeed, DG, & horizon over the D-180.   However, I would prefer the Skyview over the analogue instruments due to the "much better" software - which makes transitioning a no brainer, and the safety of synthetic vision.

Don Maxwell - Mar 15, 2010
    I'm with you about analog gauges, Steve. But here's some history: I started out with a conventional six-pack of round gauges and several years later bought a Dynon EFIS and installed a big GPS beside it. That left room for only two 2.5 inch round gauges, so I put in an airspeed indicator and a non-precision altimeter for emergency backups.

Now I never even bother to set the itty-bitty altimeter, but I use the round analog airspeed indicator for every landing--even though I consult both the Dynon and the GPS digital speed indications in flight. I find that it's MUCH easier to glance at the position of the airspeed needle than to contemplate digits when landing.

The Dynon has an analog airspeed display, but it's a tape.   It's too small to register in my head, so I keep it turned off. If the Dynon had an analog pointer instead of the tape, I'd throw away the round gauges altogether.