Digital transponder compatability

skysailor

I know I can feed a serial transmit connection from the Skyview to the serial receive on both the Garmin 327 and 330 transponders to use for altitude information to air traffic control. Is this capability present in other digital transponders? I am thinking of the SL 70 and King KT 76C although there may be more.

llacy

Where can I find a wiring diagram to wire the Dynon serial converter to a KY76A

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Our manuals have the encoder converter wiring as an appendix. It calls out the named gray code wires. You just match it up with the transponder's wires of the same name.

Brantel

Followed the manual and used the converter with a KT76A and it works
great!!! Just had mine certified to 20K feet. Works perfectly!

llacy

The KT76A numbers the top row of pins right to left 1 thru 12 bottom row A thru N Where is A1,A2,A4 etc?

Brantel

2uegu3k.jpg

Here is the key to that....Make sure you follow the Dynon manual on what wire goes where...

Read the notes on this carefully....Use at your own risk!

llacy

Okay I have found all the pins of the KY97A except the EXT IDENT going to pin F what is this for and can I leave it disconnected?

llacy

The encoder converter has a green wire and black wire coming out. The D37 connector has more than one green or black wire. Does it matter which green and black wires are connected?

llacy

I am a slow learner. If I want to connect the encoder converter to serial port 1 I connect the brown with violet stripe to the green wire coning out of the encoder connector and the brown with orange stripe to the black wire from the converter. Is this correct?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Not quite. The encoder colors don't match the DB37 harness colors, to answer your first question. Don't ever assume that same colored wires on different harnesses match up. They're often designed years apart, before other harnesses were even a twinkle in our eye, and there are only so many wire colors in the world. So, if you're using Serial 1, you'd want the brown/orange stripe to go to the green wire on the encoder converter, and then the ground wire on the encoder converter goes to any ground, either one of the SkyView grounds, or some other ground. Ground is ground is ground. If you don't have it already, grab the latest version of the installation guide from the documentation section of our site.

skysailor

It works for the SL-70, just set the transmit to 'Dynon Converter'

Thanks for the info on the SL 70. Can you verify the setting you are talking about is on the Dynon? I assume it is a single serial wire that needs to be run. Dynon Support, can you confirm the SL 70 will accept the SV serial output and that the SL 70 is a digital box? My understanding is that putting in a King KT 76A is a bit of a waste of time due to it being analog and the system going out of tune can be expensive to adjust. If the Garmin SL 70 is digital like the 327 and 330 it should work wqually as well.

n223rv

I have hooked up my SL70 and I am getting density altitude showing up on the SL70 once the SkyView is booted, so they are communicating. I have the SL70 hooked up on serial #1 and the serial 1 TX on the SkyView needs to be set to 'Dynon Converter'. Make sure both baud rates match and you should be all set. I just have the SL70 RX wire connected to the SkyView serial #1 TX. And the serial grounds both grounded to a common ground.

skysailor

I have hooked up my SL70 and I am getting density altitude showing up on the SL70 once the SkyView is booted, so they are communicating.  I have the SL70 hooked up on serial #1 and the serial 1 TX on the SkyView needs to be set to 'Dynon Converter'.  Make sure both baud rates match and you should be all set.  I just have the SL70 RX wire connected to the SkyView serial #1 TX.  And the serial grounds both grounded to a common ground.

Thanks for the answer and the update! Sounds like an SL 70 will do the trick for me.

ED534

the KT76A diagram looks very helpful. I am going to attempt attaching the altitude converter to the KT76A tomorrow. It appears I have a later version of the KT76a that was manufactured while Honeywell owned. The look is slightly different. Does anyone know if the pin-out is the same as the diagram provided earlier in this post? i would hope it would have been a direct replacement (plug and play) Here is a link showing the different look of the two...
http://transponderrepair.com/KT-76%20IDENT.htm

ED534

ATC says they are tracking me at 4,450 and reading my squak....must have hooked it up correctly.  One question for those more understanding about Xponders.... I checked the ATIS where ATC was and input the Barometer settings before I called for an altitude check.  I was reading over 100 feet higher on the D-60 than the altitude ATC said I was at.  Doesn't the Xponder relay what the D-60 is telling it or does the Xponder make it's own calculations?  I know it sends info at pressure altitude, but shouldn't ATC have added the local pressure settings in to de-code?  Where am I most likely to be off here?  I think I am reading in other posts that each one of the 9 wires xmits a different part of the altitude and it can be off slightly or a lot, and a continuity check is the best one can do without a repair shop?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You have it right. The encoder (your D60) outputs pressure altitude. Both the D60 and ATC put the baro offset in for display/readback purposes. So they should agree.

If they don't, really, transponder a test set is probably the right way to test it. But to first order, if you set the baro to the ATIS specified value, and you're seeing field elevation, then the D60 is putting out the right pressure altitude, at least at that moment. Also note that the D60's altitude sensor needs a few minutes before it will be warmed up and stabilized, so if you're checking immediately after power-up, you could be a bit off where it could be.

If you do determine that your base pressure altitude is off what it "should" be (which really should involve a calibrated/certified test set), There is SETUP>ALTADJ that provides a single point shift of baseline pressure altitude. This will affect both the reported pressure altitude and the displayed altitude on your Dynon.

ED534

Makes sense. I think the D60 is working properly but I will do as you say after warm up. I think I'll fly it a while and check with ATC often. The get the transponder checked. Not due for a certification just yet.

Bruno

I'm in the final process of installing my SV-700 and I'm planning to use my GTX-327 and I wanna confirm I hooked it up correctly.

Other than connecting pin 19 & 20 ( RS-232 IN & Out )of the GTX-327 to one of the serial port,  
Is there a special set up I need to do for it to report altitude and code to ATC? Gray code etc....?? :-/

Thank you

Bruno
rv4@videotron.ca