Does SkyView FD Work On The Ground?

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
I would have thought that...IF...when sitting on the ground in the runup area I programmed in a route with the first fix off the end of the runway into the map, then pressed FD + VS +800 and NAV that the command bars would provide a nose up climb and a left/right wings guidance to fly to the fix and a nose up to something that would approximate a climb. It seems to first do what I want it to however sadly the command bars just disappear and I have to reengage the FD after takeoff.

Some airplanes when you press TOGA on the ground they command the 12 degrees nose up and wings level and then you press the NAV or HDG and the wings command the appropriate turn.

Would it work with my GTN-650? I normally just run the ForeFlight and SV because it is super easy to plan the flight at home and then just "Send To Panel" and takeoff as opposed to having to spin and punch in the data on the GTN.

Am I doing anything wrong or am I having unrealistic expectations?

THANKS for the advice!!!

Stevec

I am not sure that this is what you are looking for but you can engage the autopilot and flight director on the ground when still. As soon as you move you will be below the minimum speed for autopilot operation and you should get a message to tell you. The autopilot follows the flight director commands so I guess the flight director will be unable to work if you are below the minimum speed of operation.

djones

Administrator
Staff member
We don't currently have the ability to turn on the flight director or preset autopilot altitudes and such. Once the airspeed comes alive it cancels out
all of those settings. I have already written a case for engineering to change it's behavior

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
Don...

That would be a helpful feature... set up everything in the run up pad, roll down the runway and fly the FD guidance along the route /vertical path would great for situational awareness.

As always Don... I am greatly appreciative of your help.