DUAL Classic display EMS not showing when one display is off

GOGETAIR aircraft

As the title explains when in Dual installation we switch off one display other goes to Xes on AHRSS and EMS. AHRS comes back in few seconds on full-screen mode. There is no Engine date. Both displays have the same behavior. When both displays are on all works, can SWAP displays both sho all data. Displays are also connected with a direct LAN cable.
What to do?
RGDS, Iztok

jakej

Do you have the Dynon supplied ethernet cable ?

Did it ever work properly in the past ?

If not, then buy a new Dynon cable, the fault is most likely the cable or a damaged ethernet connection IMO.

GOGETAIR aircraft

Hi!
No, we do not have Dynon supplied ethernet cable. Is there a different wiring diagram than a standard LAN cable. If so, please provide wiring, so we can test it. IT will take a long time before we receive the original from US. No, Iz never worked since this is a new installation. As I read dynon uses class 5 straight cable. Correct? Are you sure, that an Ethernet cable is required - mandatory for dual display. As I read it is a redundancy to serial connection. Not logical, that PFD will work but engine data - EMS not.

Attachments

• ethcable03.gif
    ethcable03.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
It seems strange that the Ethernet cable woudl be needed to transfer EMS information between the two units, I thought it was needed to trasnfer configuration data between the two units. I can test this in my system that has two Dynon Classis units probably later today. I will remove the cable and see what happens when I power one of the two units down.

jakej

Oh boy, why is this so hard sometimes ?
I repeat - “ Did it ever work properly in the past “ ?
Please understand most of us are really trying to help out, however it is made harder to troubleshoot ‘issues’ if there is minimal data supplied.

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
OK, I went to my hanger to check. I had been running a two screen classic Dynon system with Ethernet cable and I had already established that it worked with either one or two screens powered. I disconnected the ethernet cable and powered up one screen all worked worked and I would see the EGT, CHT temperatures MAP etc. (EMS values), also powering the second screen and both screens reported the EMS values. So the presence or absence of the Ethernet cable does not influence the displaying of the EMS values on the screens. I have the dynon network all connected between all units in the system (2x screen, EMS, KNOB, AP, 2x ADHDR and GPS connected to both screens via the serial cable. Remainder of the system still needs connecting).
- Maarten

GOGETAIR aircraft

Maarten thanks a lot for your effort. Is there a Dynon employee on this forum to help? I attach the panel.

Attachments

• dual dynon.jpg
    dual dynon.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 143

RV8JD

Contact Dynon support and discuss it with them directly. That would be you best option for a reply. Although Dynon does monitor the Forums, they ask that folks contact them directly for support.

GalinHdz

Contact Dynon support and discuss it with them directly. That would be you best option for a reply. Although Dynon does monitor the Forums, they ask that folks contact them directly for support.
^^^^^ DO THIS ^^^^^

:cool:

kellym

I love flying!
I have dual classic display with standard Cat 5 network cable. The main use of the network cable is to synchronize both screens when loading a data base from either screen. Elswhere in screen setup you can choose if you want a particular layout when you turn off one or one fails. I have mine to do 40% PFD 10% EMS and 40% mapping. Downside is you can't change the layout when on single screen.

djones

Administrator
Staff member
kellym has this correct. It sounds like the reversion mode is set to be PFD only so that when one screen shuts down it will make the remaining screen only PFD. This can be configured by going to the setup menu's, go to SYSTEM SETUP > SCREEN LAYOUT SETUP > REVERSION MODE. From there you can either turn off reversion mode entirely, or set it up to what you would like the remaining screen to look like should one screen fail (or in this case be turned off)
screenshot-N137NA-SN04460-15.3.5.4999-20201207-231233-771-en_US.png

Colin Pazdzior

Don,
I was actually about to write an email with questions on reversionary modes - will ask here instead:

In a twin engine certified install (ie, PA34), I understand that there is a requirement for one screen to be configured as dedicated EMS. Thinking of two specific scenarios:

1. 3 screen SkyView HDX - Pilot 10", Copilot 10", EMS 7" near centre
-is it possible to move non EMS content to the 7" EMS display mid flight? For example, temporarily take pilot side 10" display out of service, and move its PFD/MFD content to EMS display, then shift EMS display to copilot 10" display
-alternately, could PFD be moved to EMS display in EMS split screen config? Would this require turning off the main pilot display to force reversion, or would a reversion even happen in 3 display system if 2 displays are still online?

2. 2 screen SkyView HDX - Pilot 10", EMS 7" near centre
-could PFD be moved to EMS display in EMS split screen config? Would this require turning off the main pilot display to force reversion?

Last question is on less than full screen EMS in twin engine installation; ie bottom or side band EMS or 20% / 50% reversion...in these modes, is it still possible to display all CHT, EGT, TIT data, along with FF, fuel qty, and the other required instruments?

Thanks,
Colin Pazdzior

GOGETAIR aircraft

I thank all, the helpful one, the inpatient one. The problem is now solved. I would recommend that there is a default setting that makes both displays show all data without going into software.