Dynon autopilot for certified aircraft?

avalenti

I love flying!
Hello, I am new to the post and excited about the new rules allowing Dynon EFIS to be installed in legacy aircraft. My question is: Are there any plan to get the Dynon autopilot equipment stc for the same aircraft, such as TruTrak is working on for the 172? I fly a 177b and am dying to install some reasonably priced avionics. Thank you for your thoughts. I am a Electronics technician and engineer by trade and would be interested in contributing to the installation/design of a project like this.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Long-term, we want all of our equipment in all aircraft! :). And the EAA's just about to start delivering the STC for the D10A/D100. So we're in really early days. Nothing specific to report, but we share your goals!

carlp101

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast!
Once you do get the SV D1000T, GPS-250 etc. certified, will you update the software so the GPS can provide vertical guidance to the autopilot? I read that it is a WAAS receiver.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
"WAAS" as a technical term is very different from being able to provide vertical approach guidance (your phone may have a WAAS-enabled GPS chipset, for example). In the short term, we don't foresee having IFR approach capability in SkyView itself. But things are changing everywhere - look at the recent STC for the EFIS-D10A and EFIS-D100. You never know....

GalinHdz

Now that the D10A and D100 can be installed in certain certificated aircraft what, if anything, prohibits installing autopilot servos under the Non Operational Required Safety Enhancing Equipment (NORSEE) rules? This would be HUGE for aircraft that fall under the STC.
:D

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The NORSEE policy is more of a framework than a blank permission slip. It still requires non-zero work to get from "we have a product!" to actually making it happen. Browse the actual policy for some of the requirements: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgPolicy.nsf/0/1790b02f1833357486257f9200592110/$FILE/PS-AIR-21.8-1602.pdf. Now, they're a lot less burdensome than traditional certification pathways, and we're all for non-traditional pathways. So we'll of course be looking into all pathways for ways to best serve the GA fleet in an affordable way.