Dynon D100 Heading Lag and overshoot

morhall

Glasair IIRG
I've been doing more hoodwork lately and have noticed that the compass heading on our D100 has (or has developed) a significant amount of lag/overshoot when changing headings.

It's almost as though the tape has inertia and when you roll wings level it keeps going at standard rate for a while and then swings back.

It's been a while since going through a compass rose calibration, but I am wondering if there is any feedback on this issue besides running through a calibration.

Previously I had trouble with the autopilot holding a heading. I believe that turned out to be mostly due to trim imbalance. After adding electric aileron trim, the plane flies straight on autopilot in HDG/TRK/NAV modes.

The current issue is easily reproduced by changing a heading at a standard rate turn or better and then rolling level fairly quick. If you slow your turn rate way down as you approach the heading, the lag is less pronounced with maybe a 1-2 degree overshoot. At Standard Rate you may see a 10 degree overshoot.

The remote magnetometer is mounted in the aft fuselage far away from any significant metal aside from the aluminum elevator pushrod and the rudder cables.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Morgan

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Morgan, it most likely is the calibration, so we suggest that you re-calibrate first. That should make it go away.

If it doesn't, contact us again. We would probably ask whether your attitude is correct, and perhaps have you send a video.

morhall

Glasair IIRG
I will try another calibration. It's been over a year.

The attitude seems correct. This is installed in a Glasair 2RG and at cruise speeds, the pitch changes are incredibly subtle to produce climb/sink rates in the 500fpm range, but I haven't felt that the attitude indications were off. Just the overshoot of the compass.

After recalibrating I will test and video if I am able to reproduce the heading lag.

Morgan