Dynon D180 and Bluetooth

I have a Dynon D180 and have used it for a couple of years, excellent product. I am currently installing the servos and plan to fly it from the Dynon compass. Question is there any hope for a bluetooth connection that could be used for GPS and flight route information. Seems to me that would be wonderful! It would also give the D180 more utility and still more competitive.

Dennis Adams

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That's actually more of a question for the people that make the other end of your system. What device do you want to talk to us?

Realize that Bluetooth isn't a standard for the actual data, it's a standard for how to get arbitrary data from point A to point B, just like a physical wire is. You still need both sides to agree on the type of data being sent, and it's the software in your source device (iPad, Android phone, Tablet PC, etc) that defines this.

They do make Bluetooth to Serial adapters, and we take serial in. So if you can get one of those, and you can get whatever software you are using to output standard NMEA data, it will work. Here's one example:

http://www.iogear.com/product/GBS301/

Otherwise, I can't say that we have any plans to make a bluetooth to serial converter ourselves.

I am using an Ipad, and there a with Anywere Map., but there are a lot of software options for the Ipad. It would be nice to know if any one of the software options in the market place would work with a bluetooth serial converter to the D180. Do you know of any?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We don't know of any products that will get NMEA data from an iPad+aviation app all the way to a serial port on SkyView at the moment.