Dynon Go-Around functionality

DCBrown198

I'm doing final panel install. I'm installing a Double Pole G/A button which will send seperate signals to both the Garmin GPS 175 and the Skyview HDX that a Go Around (missed approach) is to be executed.

My understanding is that once the Garmin gets this signal it then sequences waypoints for the missed approach (lateral guidance).

As for the Dynon autopilot response the manual says... "This go around feature is solely intended to initiate the missed approach – specifically the transition in vertical navigation. It does not follow the published go around procedure."

In actual use does the Dynon autopilot continue to follow the Garmin lateral guidance, while performing its programmed vertical maneuver to the pilot-set target altitude?

Thanks!

David

DBRV10

Yes, whatever the GPS outputs the FD will follow and the AP does what the FD tells it to.

Personally I do not use a GA button, just simply press IAS, which captures the current IAS and as you add power, it climbs away. But some folk like the idea of the GA button, and thats fine. Once climbing away I then adjust the IAS to around 125 knots (most RV's that is a good number) and I manage the rest of the MA from there.

steve m

Personally I do not use a GA button, just simply press IAS, which captures the current IAS and as you add power,

Can you comment on what speeds you fly your approach, I tried the IAS method in my RV10, but found when transitioning from 120 mph approach to full power climb gave really aggressive pitch up attitude. when using IAS climb. Do you fly with flaps down on approach, would appreciate any comments\tips you have for flying approaches in -10.

This single pilot IFR is fun\tough.

Thx

Stev

airguy

Yes, it works just like David said. I do use the GA button, for the reason that the autopilot will assume the default climb rate and I don't have to jack with that on the climbout - one less thing to worry about. Hit the GA button, add power, and the vertical will take care of itself - just pay attention to the horizontal.

kellym

I love flying!
Personally I do not use a GA button, just simply press IAS, which captures the current IAS and as you add power,

Can you comment on what speeds you fly your approach, I tried the IAS method in my RV10, but found when transitioning from 120 mph approach to full power climb gave really aggressive pitch up attitude. when using IAS climb. Do you fly with flaps down on approach, would appreciate any comments\tips you have for flying approaches in -10.

Thx

Stev
Well, if you are set with MPH, I would fly the approach between 115 and 120, no flaps. (while there is some documentation for higher airspeeds with partial flaps, 100 mph is max for full flaps). I also do not go full throttle immediately on a go around....really not necessary until you have re-trimmed, as 18" will get you started on a climb, and 10-20 sec later you can add in rest of power.
I find the GTN does not ask for go around sequencing until about 10-20 sec after passing MAP.
I choose to hand fly the missed until any turns made and minimum climb altitudes are reached.

DBRV10

Thx

Stev

Hi Steve,

Sure, I usually fly a coupled approach at 120 knots GS, with 600'/min descent rate, once I have a captured glide slope, well all I do is maintain about 120 knots and then slow down slightly at the FAF. Once committed to land pull the remaining power and configure flap and land.

A GA is capture IAS, which will be around 95-100 knots and then add a little power, reconfigure and slowly add more power as required. The -10 is not a full throttle go around machine, in my opinion. It has so much surplus performance it is not needed to be a rush.

steve m

A GA is capture IAS, which will be around 95-100 knots and then add a little power, reconfigure and slowly add more power as required. The -10 is not a full throttle go around machine, in my opinion. It has so much surplus performance it is not needed to be a rush.

Hi David

Thx, makes perfect sense to just not use full power on GA and then add power as needed. I have been flying the approach at 2400 rpm, so I may try a few approaches with adding full throttle but leavin RPM at 2400 vs advancing it to 2700 rom simultaneously, and see if that make the climb angle more appropriate.

I have been using 120 mph on approaches with no flaps (greatly simplifies GA cleanup) only down side to this is I find if I land it does take long time to get all the flaps in, but these approaches are usually to very long runways so it is not a real an issue and I am not likely to find a encounter a very low approach to field with a short runway.

Thx for your help

Steve

DBRV10

Yes.....you never have a 600m runway at the end of an ILS :)

In an RV10, I do the GA with my RPM left alone, 2400-2450 range, and I leave the mixture in the LOP position I had in the cruise when I was WOT. The mixture is a F/A ratio device so there is nothing wrong whatsoever with doing LOP go arounds. My instrument Renewal is always done LOP. We have so much up our sleeve.

There may be times where I will select full RPM and full rich, but only where this is going to be necessary.

The biggest chore is re-trimming if hand flying. If I use the AP its just a low fuss add power and manage the aircraft.