Dynon HDX Garmin Compatibility

ebackscheider

Hi All!

I've been searching and scraping this forum for details on my future setup, but wanted to wrap it up and verify what I'm seeing is correct. I have an HDX currently. I want to add a Garmin SL30 or GNC255 for nav/com. This will still let me push freq from Dynon to either of those boxes and give me NAV/ILS. That will be connected over serial ports.

I will then add a Garmin GPS 175 via ARINC to get a RNAV connection to the HDX.

My goal is to have both NAV and RNAV and be able to push freq from Dynon. That last part is why I didn't say 430 or 650 as the freq push won't work. Does this sound correct? Gets me IFR for about $8K I like the Dynon Com, but I want to have NAV capabilities.

Thanks,
Eric

rfazio1951

So here are the my thoughts. Yes, supposedly the Skyview can push frequencies to the SL-30. Ok, but for the 175 there are no frequencies? You are selecting an airport to navigate to, GPS, no freqs. If you are thinking the new Garmin unit with COM, the 355, then yes it has com frequencies, but the Skyview, I don't think would be able to push to two different units anyway. Also, on a unit like the 355 with touch screen it would be just as easy to touch the garmin itself and key in a frequency as doing it on the skyview, perhaps easier. I fly IFR weekly, to me pushing freqs is not a big deal. certainly not worth making a choice of which unit to buy. Just my 2 cents.

ebackscheider

Richard, are you saying you would spend the money on a 650 and have the nav/com/rnav all together then? It's about the same price as the two, but I won't be able to push freq.

Yes, I knew the 175 has no frequencies, I was going to leverage the SL30 or GNC255 for that part.

The 255 is the new Nav/Com. It's the SL30 replacement. The 355 is RNAV/Com, and that is not on my radar, I do want NAV for ILS if needed.

Last edited:

kellym

I love flying!
Richard, are you saying you would spend the money on a 650 and have the nav/com/rnav all together then? It's about the same price as the two, but I won't be able to push freq.

Yes, I knew the 175 has no frequencies, I was going to leverage the SL30 or GNC255 for that part.

The 255 is the new Nav/Com. It's the SL30 replacement. The 355 is RNAV/Com, and that is not on my radar, I do want NAV for ILS if needed.
I have SL30 and GTN650 with Skyview classic. I can push freqs to SL30, but am so used to dialing them that I don't use that feature. I use the 650 as my #1 com radio, and again, just dial the freqs. IIRC the 255 has the freq database built in, so you would just select airport and then which function you want, like the Dynon.

rfazio1951

YES get a 650 and be done with it. You'll be able to fly any approach with modern equipment. You will love the 650. I've got an old 430W. It works great, but lacks all the new features. I regularly fly with my friend and his 650 and I like it. I'm looking to up grade. I'm thinking the Avidyne 440. All the new navigators are great. Sending flight plans up and down, the ease in changing frequencies, Changing flight plans on the fly and approaches on the fly are SOOO easy on the new stuff.