Dynon NAV Radio for Skyview?

F

Fitz

Now that the Comm radio is on the street, what are the chances that Dynon will look at developing a Dynon Nav radio for Skyview? 

F

Fitz

Thanks for the reply and I fully understand the philosophy.  Me and my wife keep telling each other we are going to lose weight, but it does not seem to happen.  Would be better to just do it then talk about it.  Maybe Oshkosh 2014 we will see something on the display table, or maybe not.  Thanks again for the great product and your outstanding customer service, BZ ;)

DonFromTX

I love flying!
Yeah, NOW you tell me as I am engrossed in upgrading to an SL 30!
There is a chance that we may do a NAV radio, just like there is a chance we will do lots of things. No promises! The other post asked for a NAV radio with a marker beacon receiver, and I really don't ever see us doing that.

This is probably a good post to read on our philosophy about talking about any future products:
http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1381941973/25#25

60av8tor

Yeah, NOW you tell me as I am engrossed in upgrading to an SL 30!

This caught me off-guard as well, or I wouldn't have posted the link that I did and confused things. I didn't know the 'not going to happen' only applied to the MB portion. I could have sworn this was covered previously and the response was not a possibility due to TSO and products already available... Never say never, I guess, and it is good to hear that it may be a possibility.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. A NAV radio is a POSSIBILITY, but so are lots of things. Please, nobody plan your plane and panel around any unannounced Dynon product or feature. I don't want to hear a year from now "where is the NAV radio you promised!?" mmkay? ;)

As an FYI, there are no TSOs required for a NAV radio in a experimental plane.

60av8tor

As an FYI, there are no TSOs required for a NAV radio in a experimental plane.

Mmmm - this is interesting and something that I guess I always just assumed (incorrectly :-? ). Never gave it too much thought since I fly with a 430, but from what I gathered from some quick research, only GPS, transponder, and altitude encoding equipment must meet TSO. So, hypothetically, if I could build my own nav radio, I could legally fly all day long in the soup on VOR airways. However, my 3 non-TSOd GPSs (one being the SV), which have never differed from my 430 cannot be used in the enroute environment. I understand the implications of the approach environment, but for enroute nav that just seems very backwards.