Dynon panel mount comm

Belly3870

Any word on a release time frame for your panel mount comm, and if it will have the option of vertical or horizontal mount? Thanks!

dabear

I was hoping that it wasn't a panel mount com and was actually remote mounted. That way it would save panel space and use the SV screen as a control head much the same way as the transponder.

Belly3870

In talking with the dynon reps at sun n fun they said it will be a seperate radio wi a remote head. My only concern was that they were going to only make it a vertical mount. This configuration won't fit my panel.  If they could make it horizontal I could have an all dynon panel in my rv-8.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Without talking too many details about a product whose design isn't finalized - the radio is something you use so often in flight, you really don't want to overload SkyView's on-screen UI with that. It could be done, but it won't be pretty.

dabear

I don't disagree that the radio is used (freq changed) frequently over the course of a flight.  However, the primary radio freq and standby would be easily shown on the top of the PFD.  

Also, considering the ease of pushing the digits on the transponder, it quickly shows the poor UI of knobs for entering the freq on the radio.  However, I just realized you don't have enough buttons at the bottom of the SV to input the freq, so I guess a separate head is needed.  

Maybe a "FMS" style panel that could be used to input the freq,  "qwerty" keyboard input txt for flight planning, etc.

As you design the head, can you consider a row of buttons to easily input the frequency versus the 100 year old UI of knobs?

palark

I notice that Dynon commented on the design aspect of the comm. However, I too would be most interested to know ROUGHLY when they think it might be available as I am in the latter stages of construction and would like to know whether I should be looking for another brand.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The only detail about the Dynon Com Radio that we have committed to publicly is that we're working on one. Features, timelines, etc. have not been finalized. Really :)

CBarber

I gotta agree with Dynon here as to a separate head, especially with my smaller 7 inch SkyView in my Velocity. Just seems better to not further clutter the screen. I can't tell ya how pleased I am that Dynon is usually good about following through. I have learned to have a great deal of faith in them (even if they would work on the 7 inch fonts...not terrible for me but I do see it as an issue)

All the best,

Chris Barber
Houston

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Increased font sizes will be in the next release, FYI. We hear you all loud and clear!

mcm

DynonSupport, thanks for listening to your customers! I would vote for a separate head too. May be with an option to scroll through a storage of let's say the last 10 used channels? The sooner you can disclose panel cut out and box dimensions the better. I am waiting until you offer this box and a satisfying map data solution with all the airfields here in Europe until swapping the steam gauges of my Saab Safir.

Just an info from over the pond you might not yet be aware of: Europe suffers from frequency shortage. Therefore Eurocontrol plans to close the final phase of implementing 8.33khz channel spacing for all radios operating in the ICAO EUR region by 1 January 2018. Already in the forward-fit phase beginning 1 January 2012 as far as I know all aircraft radios put onto the market must be 8.33khz capable. For instance Becker-Avionics have already started an exchange program for their boxes. Dynon probably can benefit from the pilot's investments forced by EuroControl's requirement if you are not too late in the market (this was completely un-self-intersted ;) ).

All the best,
Stefan
Berlin/Germany

Ron_B

As for font in the 7" Skyview we already have it. Seriously today for the first time our 7" screen has what I'm guessing to be the same font size as our 10". Problem is of course that some of the information is missing. We can only access the top and left side of the screen.
Any help in getting things back to normal. Re-starting the unit is not working.
Thanks Ron

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Ron,

Give tech support a call at 425-402-0433 or email at support @ dynonavionics dot com. They'll help you get sorted.