EDC-D10A remote magnetometer service bulletin

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We've discovered an issue that affects some EDC-D10A remote magnetometers when they are used with type 2 OAT probes. If your unit is affected, your OAT reading will be artificially high at lower temperatures (below 40F for some units, -10F for others). This problem can be fixed in the field, or you may also send the EDC-D10A back to us for repair. Please see the full service bulletin for full details.

LarGriff

My unit was in the affected group, so I removed the diode per the bulletin. It wasn't difficult with a fine tip soldering iron.

It would be nice if the service bulletin were published in PDF format so I could print it out and place it in my installation notebook to show what was done.

- Larry

bmarvel

FYI my EDC-10A had the diode which I removed today. It was serial number 7318 which I don't believe is in your affected list. Temps seem to track well now with my other known good OAT gauge.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
7318 is indeed one of the problem numbers. It spans from roughly 3300 to 7779 (we added some padding onto endpoints).

WestCoastOz

I have just completed the service to the Dynon EDC-D10A (S/N # 4382) as per the Service Bulletin and found it very straight forward thanks to the clear and concise instructions contained in the SB (thanks Dynon  :)). Living as I do, on the other side of the planet, sending the unit back for the modification would have put the airplane out of service for a couple of weeks, so this is a great outcome.
The actual removal of the diode only took about one minute (I used a pair of precision side cutters).

Regards

Dave

Mel

Just completed taking out the baggage bulkhead, removing the EDC-D10A, S/N 6331 and found no diode installed. Case was NOT marked "D3". It is now.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Our stated serial range does include some padding. There is some uncertainty in those numbers, and there will be some in the middle that don't have the diode. Sorry for the extra work on your end.

Mel

At least I know it's right now. Thanks again for the quick turnaround on the D10A upgrade.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
All OATs that hook to the EDC are three wires. The two wire OAT hooks to an EMS.

The way to tell if it's a type 1 or 2 OAT is if it has a black band on the wire near the OAT. If it does, it's a type 2. The other way to check is just to try- If you choose the wrong type, a temperature will show up, it will just be wrong.

jaba-who

Sorry, I am a bit thick.
Let's back track.
I have a two wire OAT probe hooked up to my D 180 (to the back of the D 180 itself. )

My OAT probe is installed behind panelling and covers and will be hard to get to to see if there is a black band on the wires or not.

When I read the bulletin it seems to imply that the problem affects OAT that are connected to the EDC-D10A.

I infer from this that OAT used in the manner I have mine (two wire probe connected directly to the D180 itself) are not affected. but am I being too simplistic?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Correct. If your OAT is hooked directly to the back of your D180, there is no work to be done. It is accurate and fine.

lucaberta

After visiting the booth at SnF today and seeing the AP in operation, I was convinced that Dynon is what I should have in my panel, and luck me Ifound an "as new" EFIS D-10A unit for a very reasonable price, with warranty from the avionics shop. Can't wait to go back home to try it!

A quick heads up on the EDC-D10A possible issue on the D3 diode.

The EFIS came with an EDC-D10A with S/N 3524, so I opened it looking for the diode to remove, and found out that the printed circuit board does not even have the pads nor the slikscreen for D3. The PCB is marked 100036 Rev F.

I would assume that this EDC-D10A unit is not affected by the service bulletin. Am I making a right assumption?

Many thanks, Luca