Edo-Aire/Century servo motors with D-10A?

Dan Philgreen

This is a long shot, but here goes. This has probably been gone over before - I'm new here. I did do a search and found that the only mention of anything close was almost 10 years ago.

I am the third owner of a Zenith Zodiac 601HDS project that was sitting in garages for over 2 decades and I am pushing to get it completed. It came with a D-10A that I have decided should work very well for my limited needs. It also came with a pair of Edo-Aire/Century servo motors. The data plates are missing but they are capstan style and look like 1C363-1-298R. Is it possible to use these with a D-10A? Is it practical? If so, I would appreciate any guidance as to how to wire them up. I do have the pin-outs for the motors I got from the Century II installation manual, which was kindly sent to me by Josh at Lafayette Avionics. If this is to succeed, I will also need to find a pair of the connectors that mate with the servos. And, to echo my post in the classified section, I'd love to find an AP74 in either orientation, whether or not I get the autopilot function to work. The knob is desirable in any case.

I'm in Fort Myers.

Thanks in advance from a newbie.

Dan Philgreen

BTW, these servos are, of course, certified items, and therefore have some value. They seem to go from about $200 - $500 on ebay (though without the model numbers, mine are probably questionable). It might be a better way forward to e-bay what I have and put the $ toward a pair of new Dynon units. Assuming these will work with the old D-10A. Comments?

Rhino

Not familiar with Century servos, but if they draw over two amps, the D10 probably won't power them. The Dynon Trimamp is used with Skyview systems to correct that, but I'm not sure if that works with the D10.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

... It also came with a pair of Edo-Aire/Century servo motors. The data plates are missing but they are capstan style and look like 1C363-1-298R. Is it possible to use these with a D-10A?...
Assuming you're talking about using them for an autopilot servo, then the answer is absolutely not. If you're talking about trim motors, then maybe, if they're just DC motors.

Dan Philgreen

Got it. Thanks Marc. I was kinda coming to that conclusion based on not finding anyone who has done it. I guess one of the guys who had this project before me got a little ahead of himself at the Flymarket at Oshkosh or wherever and put his money down without doing his homework first. I really appreciate your input verifying this. So I think I will proceed with the plan to Ebay these and put the money toward the Dynon motors.

dj-tentacle

Make sure to buy them
Got it. Thanks Marc. I was kinda coming to that conclusion based on not finding anyone who has done it. I guess one of the guys who had this project before me got a little ahead of himself at the Flymarket at Oshkosh or wherever and put his money down without doing his homework first. I really appreciate your input verifying this. So I think I will proceed with the plan to Ebay these and put the money toward the Dynon motors.
Make sure to either buy used ones that were on a Dynon Legacy system. Or buy them from Dynon and let them know before that you need the legacy firmware. Downgrading their firmware by yourself is possible (I've done it and shared the instructions here) but you need to know what you are doing and accepting risks. Would not do that when buying new servos anyway.