Electronics Intl capactance fuel qty install

exbo3388

I am retrofitting a D180 to a flying RV8. The aircraft has Electronics international Capactance FL2 indication. 3 wires are connected to the unit from each probe - they are red, white, and black. Am I to assume that this will work without the voltage converter? using power, ground, and fuel level to the EMS? Thanks for any help!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It probably will not work. I think the output from these EI senders is frequency, not voltage. The EMS needs a voltage input. You can hook a voltmeter up and see, but it probably won't work. If this is the indicator that Van's sells, we're 95% sure they won't work. You'll need to retrofit our converters or the priceton ones.

exbo3388

It appears as if there is a voltage converter installed - there is a coax with a BNC connector out of the probe, going to a box with three wires. I applied 12v to the red, grounded the black. and have a reading of approx 5.5 volts on the white with the current fuel on board.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Nope, that board is a capacitance to frequency converter- you're seeing 5.5V because that's a frequency output that is on half of the time and off half of the time, so you see an average voltage of about 1/2 of 12V, or about 6V. If you change the fuel level in the tanks, you'll see that it stays at 5.5V all the time on your voltmeter.