EMS Displays on D1000

Edwardoc

I love flying!
There have been several pictures posted of EMS displays what show instrument indicators that I cannot find in the Layout menus on the D1000. They are either smaller then what is available on the style and size menus I have available. Are these custom or for other Dynon displays for other models? Just wondering as I would like to modify my displays in the 20 % view to make the Circle displays smaller then what is available. :)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
These are displays that are created by hand editing the file that defines screen layouts. It's a text file that is semi-documented and can be hand edited if you want to spend some time with it. If you edit it by hand you can make anything any size or style you want, but it is a bit time consuming.

cperry

Oh, the possibilities! Just 'cuz I'm too lazy to look myself...is that "semi documented" in the installation manual?

:)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
No - the file that you get from a settings export has enough context that if you're a bit technically savvy, you'll see what numbers you can tweak to adjust the look of the gauges. And, if you look around the forum here you'll find folks that have described what they've done (along with the settings files that got them the look they were after).

jc2da

Mmarian, Wow nice work. I may have to do some tweaks myself. I have crammed as much info as i could into the 20% screen, as i hate having to toggle from 50 to 20% as i did before the cram.

Attachments

• screenshot-20120520-152222-567.bmp
    1.8 MB · Views: 106

Jamie

Here is mine, just the stuff I need.

temoracustom.jpg

mmarien

Murray M.
jchang. I have a lot more stuff on the 50% screen but unless I'm doing some testing, I fly with less on the 20%. You could squeeze your EGT/CHT widget to 75% of the height by changing the params. Ignore the offsets and size shown below.

EGT_CHT_WIDGET={
type=WIDGET_EGT_CHT
x_offset=0.5
y_offset=0.5
width=43
height=27
params=3 (thickness of bar - normally 4)
params=2  (space between bars - normally 2.5)
params=0
}

Jamie - I like the 157 knots on 30 litres/hour. I checked old screen shots and I'm only getting about 4.5 NM/LTR

mmarien

Murray M.
On the subject of hand tweaking the ENGINE page I placed some gauges/info items on top or inside others with good effects. But once in a while the one I want in the background is on top. Is there a hard and fast rule for how the gauges are drawn on the screen and which are drawn on top of others?

Example one. %power in MAP gauge. ECU button behind RPM

ButtonBehind.jpg

Example two. PUMP button sits on top of MAIN fuel gauge and blocks numbers when I place it in center of MAIN fuel gauge.

ButtonBehind2.jpg

Edwardoc

I love flying!
I'm using a MAC and when I exported the EMS files, they open as .exe files and the MAC won't open them. At least I didn't try to find a program that maybe would open. I was hoping they were just text files. Do I have to fire up a 10 year old PC to work with the files? :)

mmarien

Murray M.
They are text files. Try dragging and dropping the file on a textedit application or open a textedit application and use cmd+O to open the file. To change the file type to always open with textedit right click the file. Get info > change Open with > and Change all.

rvator51

Here is the config data for the tach
c37_p32/34_v2={
type=WIDGET_ARC_VAL_CENTER
x_offset=55
y_offset=75
width=60
height=60
params=220
params=130
params=3
}
Does anyone know which if any of the params settings would increase the size of the text for the RPM numbers only? i.e. 2300 RPM would show in a larger size but control would remain the same size.

mmarien

Murray M.
I haven't found a way to increase the text size of a widget. Increasing the size has no effect on the text. The three params for an angle are:

c37_p32/34_v2={
                 type=WIDGET_ARC_VAL_CENTER
                 x_offset=55
                 y_offset=75
                 width=60
                 height=60
                 params=220   (sweep angle)
                 params=130   (start angle)
                 params=3       (thickness)
                 }

Angles.jpg

Edwardoc

I love flying!
Am slowly working up to making a change to files to see what happens. What do you change in the files to move the number readouts to the center of the gauge. At present my RPM and MP digital readouts are located outside and above the arcs on the 20% view and I want to move to the center of the gauge if possible.
:-/

Edwardoc

I love flying!
I may have found the answer but a verification from someone who has done it would be good. I think I add the _VAL_CENTER to the type line. And if you screw up the text what happens when you reload the file and it is incorrect? Just wondering. :)

mmarien

Murray M.
Yes. You are correct. There are four versions of the arc that I know of:

• WIDGET_ARC
• WIDGET_ARC_VAL_CENTER
• WIDGET_INVERTED_ARC
• WIDGET_INVERTED_ARC_VAL_CENTER

_VAL_CENTER puts the text in the center
_INVERTED inverts the arc so that it starts on the right and increases counter clockwise

Not sure what happens if there is something Skyview doesn't understand. I think it just ignores it. I haven't been able to crash it by fiddling with the EMS layout. I get some pretty strange displays to start with. I keep an exported version of the file so I can get back to the last known good display but haven't really had to use it.

A couple of hints. You can select a hand coded widget with the Skyview tools and move it around, but you can't change the size or style without it reverting to the default. I start by hand coding them and then arrange them on screen with the Skyview tools. It's too difficult to try and hand code a position when you can do it with Skyview. Worst case is creating a widget that is off the screen. Here is one mess I started with. Notice the red button with no name or range. Would be nice if Dynon made up some icons (ie: engine, seatbelts, door open, gear up/down, etc.)

strange.jpg

Edwardoc

I love flying!
Just an update. It took some time getting the widgets the right size but after playing around I finally got all of them the size and widths and arcs I desired and then positioned where I wanted them. I still want to move some of the text closer to to gage yet and am working on that. But once I understood what prams change what it is a pretty simple operation. Thanks for the help. :cool:

Edwardoc

I love flying!
Here is a shot of my 20% view as I have it configured now. I like the layout so far and the size of the widgets. Thanks for your postings :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0345_copy.jpg
    IMG_0345_copy.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 111

barbeau

Hi everybody
I've been hand editing the file that défines screen layouts (EMS 50% and EMS 20%).
Everything thing works well, but MAP widget has switched from Img to bar unit. I didn't do anything about unit. I just updated widget parameters (start and sweep angles and thickness)
I checked again setup menu, and MAP unit is Img.
Any body has an idea what´s going on?