Engaging SIMPLE MODE autopilot while in a climb.

freerangequark

Scenario:

Departed airport, turned on course, and climbing to clear airspace ahead. GPS destination set.

While in the climb, I would like to engage the autopilot, either on TRK or HSI, without any disruption to my climb to my target altitude.

If I engage the autopilot into either the TRK+ALT or HSI+ALT mode, the autopilot will assume my current altitude and try to level off there until I increase the altitude bug value. This can make for some unwanted pitch changes.

Presetting the altitude bug doesn't work as the moment the TRK+ALT or HSI+ALT button is pressed, the default is to hold the aircraft's current altitude.

Can this climbing transition to autopilot be made smoothy in SIMPLE mode?

Thanks,
Glenn

preid

That is a expert mode step.. “simple“ is as simple as they get. Straight and level and you want a autopilot for cruise and manual ascents and descents.

kellym

I love flying!
Scenario:

Departed airport, turned on course, and climbing to clear airspace ahead. GPS destination set.

While in the climb, I would like to engage the autopilot, either on TRK or HSI, without any disruption to my climb to my target altitude.

If I engage the autopilot into either the TRK+ALT or HSI+ALT mode, the autopilot will assume my current altitude and try to level off there until I increase the altitude bug value. This can make for some unwanted pitch changes.

Presetting the altitude bug doesn't work as the moment the TRK+ALT or HSI+ALT button is pressed, the default is to hold the aircraft's current altitude.

Can this climbing transition to autopilot be made smoothy in SIMPLE mode?

Thanks,
Glenn
The default in expert mode when you just push AP button is to hold roll and climb status. You can then set track or heading if you desire and punch track button.
I don't know what it does in simple mode, because I don't use that mode. Usually I am climbing faster than I want for cruise climb, so I just touch the up down buttons down 2-3 times to get perhaps 700 fpm climb and enough airspeed for good cooling.