Engine Monitor LRU - Mounting Location?

Canadian_JOY

OK, in my last post I said I'd shut up but one more question has popped into mind. Sorry! ;)

Recent installation of an engine monitor by a friend was quick and simple, with all of the electronics to do signal conditioning etc mounted forward of the firewall. The only wires running through the firewall were power and serial data. Dead simple.

Is it Dynon's intent to make the engine monitor LRU compatible with mounting forward of the firewall to ease installation?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The EMS LRU will not be a firewall forward unit. First off, a lot of the stuff like fuel tanks, flaps, trim, etc, still go to this box, and they'd need to go through the firewall.

Second, that's a really difficult environment to live in. Really wet, and really hot. Not the best place to put electronics for good reliability, and suddenly you're spending big $$ on fancy connectors. Was his EMS $600? ;)

Canadian_JOY

Hmmm, good points. I keep forgetting about the "other" stuff that EMS boxes do. For a purely "engine" box, mounting it forward of the firewall makes sense.

The unit that was installed cost about $900 plus sensors, and in fact has a bluetooth option that allows for connectivity to the cockpit without having to run even serial wires. (Not that that particular functionality would be my cup of tea...)