External LEVEL vs AP panel LEVEL button?

Mark P.

Visit my builders log at www.ZenithOwner.com
Pin 28 on the D37 (orange with black stripe) is for the external optional LEVEL button, which I do not have. However, the AP panel has it's own LEVEL button.

I'm assuming that pin 28 does NOT have to be connected to the AP panel and that since the AP panel's LEVEL button is built in, it works through the network cable. But I'm not sure....does the D37 pin 28 need to be connected to the LEVEL button on the AP panel?

As always, thanks for the help!

n144sh

I love flying!
Mark, your assumption is correct. No need to wire the AP panel to D37 pins, the level button on the AP panel works through the skyview network.

andresmith76

I love flying!
Know the Skyview Autopilot Controls setting in the Setup Menu (1st picture) needs to be set to Expert for any of the AP panel buttons to become active, including the Level button. The AP panel buttons are also replicated/available on the Skyview AUTOPILOT menu screen (MENU hard button > AUTOPILOT) EXCEPT the LEVEL button (2nd picture).

When in Simplified mode, only the on-screen Level button is active (3rd picture) - the AP panel Level button is inop.

I believe the optional external Level button is always active, regardless of the Autopilot Controls setting. I have not installed the external Level button, so I cannot confirm this.

I've always wondered why Dynon buries the Simplified/Expert AP setting in the Setup menu? I would like to have this option available using the on-screen AP menu screen for quicker & easier access.

Attachments

• 4-Autopilot Setup-Autopliot Controls.png
    4-Autopilot Setup-Autopliot Controls.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 2-MENU-Autopilot (Expert).png
    2-MENU-Autopilot (Expert).png
    507.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 1-MENU-Autopilot (Simplified).png
    1-MENU-Autopilot (Simplified).png
    474.8 KB · Views: 112

n144sh

I love flying!
Know the Skyview Autopilot Controls setting in the Setup Menu (1st picture) needs to be set to Expert for any of the AP panel buttons to become active, including the Level button. The AP panel buttons are also replicated/available on the Skyview AUTOPILOT menu screen (MENU hard button > AUTOPILOT) EXCEPT the LEVEL button (2nd picture).

When in Simplified mode, only the on-screen Level button is active (3rd picture) - the AP panel Level button is inop.

I believe the optional external Level button is always active, regardless of the Autopilot Controls setting. I have not installed the external Level button, so I cannot confirm this.

I've always wondered why Dynon buries the Simplified/Expert AP setting in the Setup menu? I would like to have this option available using the on-screen AP menu screen for quicker & easier access.
Good point! I didn't know the Level button on the AP panel wasn't active in simplified mode - I haven't used simplified mode in quite a while. It seems like Level should ALWAYS be active as a safety measure.

Rhino

Yeah, but it is nice to be considered an expert.

ned

I love flying!
Good point! I didn't know the Level button on the AP panel wasn't active in simplified mode - I haven't used simplified mode in quite a while. It seems like Level should ALWAYS be active as a safety measure.
I agree. One would need to label the integrated level button INOP while in simplified mode? Seems rather non intuitive to me. This is one thing that should be change. I do have the AP panel and a external level button but only because I built my plane before Dynon released the AP and switch panels.

andresmith76

I love flying!
I agree. One would need to label the integrated level button INOP while in simplified mode? Seems rather non intuitive to me. This is one thing that should be change. I do have the AP panel and a external level button but only because I built my plane before Dynon released the AP and switch panels.
Ned - Can you confirm the external Level button functions in either Simplified or Expert mode?

ned

I love flying!
Ned - Can you confirm the external Level button functions in either Simplified or Expert mode?
Affirm-the external button works in both modes. Once you use the expert mode you will unlikely return to the simplified. Simplified does not allow independent use of altitude hold or wings level.