Extremely high EGT

Battson

Bearhawk
I am still having trouble with my #4 EGT reading too high occasionally. This only seems to happen when I lean the engine , and typically after maintenance, then it goes away.

I see EGT about 1050*C - 1100*C, which seems to be impossibly high.  The CHT doesn't move. Changing power settings to increase power always seems to fix the issue, changing the mixture after the problem arises doesn't change anything.

This issue is normally accompanied by EGT = 1034*C with the engine shut-down (again clearly impossible).   This gives me confidence it's not a mechanical issue, but leaves me wondering why the probe is giving such a reading?
The probe seems to be mechanically fine externally. Fiddling with the plugs [firewall forward] for #4 seems to have fixed the issue in the short term.

Engine is an IO-540 with D120 reading the EGTs, full multipoint system using Dynon harness and hardware.

Ronsim

I love flying!
When I had the same problem on my RV-10 IO540, I replaced the probe --- in doing so, I discovered a bad crimp on a connector --- put the old probe back in and everything was fine.

Battson

Bearhawk
Thanks for that advice. I will check my crimps.

It only seems to happen when I do maintenance, which could explain the situation - they get bumped around and something may not be connecting right.