False Heading indication Compass etc. HELP!

Kermitfrosch

I love flying!
Hello everybody,
I have a little problem with my Efis D10A and it's heading band.
My aircraft was first equipped with an Efis D6 and the remote compass. The heading band was working okay and I sometimes realized that my heading band skipped away for about 20degrees and returned to origin during flight. This happened in a period of every 30min. Then I made the decision to upgrade the Efis D6 to an Afis D10A and the Autopilot panel AP74 and two servos SV32 were installed as well. The remote compass didn't come new. The Compass module which I used with my D6 stayed in the aircraft. Now everything is working fine, only the heading band is showing nonsense. I calibrated the compass according the manual and inserted the inclination and intensity according the manual as well. Inflight the heading is offset by more than 100° and steadily turning away. Question: Is the remote compass module brocken or is the compass module from D6 different to that from the D10A (Are there even two models?). Who can help?

robertc

I don't know if this is an issue for you,but it gives you something to look at until Dynon responds. Here's the service info link.

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/support_bulletin_110107.html

Mine had this problem. Easy to fix.

Bob

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The service bulletin only affected OAT, not heading itself. The compass is the same for both the EFIS-D10A and EFIS-D6. One thing to check to start out to see if the magnetometer is even connected - wave a magnet around both the compass and the EFIS itself (a headset earphone can work well for this purpose). Which produces deflection? If connected properly, you should see the heading swing when the magnet is by the compass, NOT by the EFIS itself. If it's the other way, there's a compass connectivity problem. Besides that, does it move about even when you're completely still? Any chance you can take a video of the behavior?

Kermitfrosch

I love flying!
Hello,
I will check these things and report. I will try to make avideoclip of it. My suggestion is that the compass module is brocken because it once worked.
I'll keep you informed.

Kermitfrosch

I love flying!
Hello,
here is a video of my compass slipping away during flight without any reason.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/396b2mq54do1fg4/Kompass.wmv
The heading while flying in level is totally wrong, then turning away by 100°.
Any idea what it is?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Did you have a chance to do the magnet test in front of the EFIS (wave a magnet across the face of the EFIS itself - does it change the heading)?