Fat Fuel Gauges

mmarien

Murray M.
I was looking for an easy way to distinguish the main fuel tank from the aux tank which is much smaller. I found that the params in the sensor file  controls the width of the of the fuel bar so I made the main tank fuel bar wider then the aux tank fuel bar:

fatfuelbar.jpg

To change it, export the sensor files. Look for one that has ems in the filename. Open it with a text editor and look for a section called ems_display and find the layout that you want to change (Layout_100= or Layout_50 or Layout_20=). Find the wire for the fuel gauge. In my case it was c37_p20. I changed the first params=2 to params=5 and loaded the file back into SV.

c37_p20={
type=WIDGET_FUEL_BAR
x_offset=51.5
y_offset=2
width=10
height=45
params=5
params=0
params=0
}

mmarien

Murray M.
I did some more experimenting with the engine gauges:

Gauges20.jpg

The bars only have one parameter that you can change other then the size or position. That is the thickness as noted above. The thickness of the arcs can be modified as well as the start and length of the arc which can supply a variety of gauge styles as shown above. For arcs the params are as follows. This is my MN BUS VOLTS gauge.

c37_p1={
type=WIDGET_ARC_VAL_CENTER
x_offset=-4
y_offset=44.5
width=25
height=25
params=120 (sweep angle)
params=60 (start angle)
params=1
}

The height and width can be modified as well as the thickness. The last params is the thickness of the arc. The sweep angle is the clockwise length of the arc in degrees. The length of my VOLTS gauge arc is 120 degrees. The start angle is the starting point of the arc. The start angle is measured from 12 o'clock in a counterclockwise direction in degrees. I know, backwards to a compass. In the case of my VOLTS gauge, the starting angle is at 10 o'clock or 60 degrees. The sweep is 120 degrees so the gauge ends at 2 o'clock. You don't have to change the ranges as SV adjust to make them fit the arc.

My MAP and RPM both start at 130 degrees and sweep 260 degrees. The default for the arc gauges is a starting angle of 130 degrees with a sweep of 220 degrees. The default thickness is 3. By changing the size, thickness, start and sweep, I can make the gauges look more like traditional gauges and make the gauges smaller to fit more on a page. Especially the 20% page. I also shrunk the thickness of the CHT_EGT gauge to make more room. Make sure you export the settings before you load the new ones so that if you really mess up, you can always load the old version back in. I haven't had SV crash even though I've given it some impossible combinations to try. You also must load the entire ems file, not just portions of it.

One more thing to note is that all the temperature gauges are about 33-35 degrees Celsius which kind of confirms that they are working correctly or all wrong. One or the other. ;)

Here is the 50% page with some other ideas.

Gauges50.jpg

mmarien

Murray M.
Bear

I haven't fiddled with the CHT/EGT yet. It looks like the wire combination is named (CHT 4 or EGT 2, etc) in the ranges area of the EMS file and then the EGT/CHT_WIDGET makes up the gauge in the Layout area. There are two versions. The EGT_WIDGET, CHT_WIDGET and the combined EGT_CHT_WIDGET. Of course you could always make up a series of bars yourself. There is still the limitation of the number of
THERMOCOUPLE wire pairs.

Keep us informed if you come up with something.  

dabear

Sorry, I wasn't more clear in my post. I was saying that I wanted to use what you did to change some of my other sensors. That way I could arrange the 50% screen to get the larger CHT/EGT widget with 5cht/9egt on the screen. I'm not changing the larger CHT/EGT widget.

Hope I'm clear(er) this time.

mmarien

Murray M.
Ahhh! Good idea. I made up some arc widgets for EGT/CHT but they aren't as readable as the normal EGT/CHT bar widget. You also can't select them to move or modify them. They need to be hand coded. Looks like I goofed on the ranges for CHT4 and EGT4.

I also tried a zero thickness arc. It comes out as a single grey line with no colors so it's not very useful.

gauges_EGT_CHT.jpg