Flexible User Interface

dragonflyhkg

It's clear that the vast majority of customers in the after-market EFIS arena are using these products in non-certificated aircraft types.

As such, the customers are not constrained by the requirements of certification in relation to the EFIS itself. The non-certified market is now at the point where it now desires greater flexibility within the interface of the EFIS products available. I beleive that operational customisation of the displays and features will be the future direction of this product.

I'm now at the stage of seeking my next EFIS and I'd like screen customisation to be taken to the point where I can choose/design alternative symbology, its placement on screens, systems activation pop-ups (flap indicator displayed any time the flaps are not fully retracted, trim position indicator when the trim is activated), etc; i.e a truly flexible user interface

Looking ahead, I'd like to hear where the future Flexible User Interface is going within Dynon's products.

What's screen customisation is going to available in Skyview?

Regards, Mark

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We try to offer the maximum amount of configurability that makes sense while balancing that against offering a product that is complete, useable, and as close we can make to bug-free for the vast majority of our customers.

To that end, the SkyView system will offer configurability far beyond what our current products do. In particular, on the engine monitor side of things, you'll be able to define your own sensors with your own characterizations. Engine instruments will be able to be moved about with much less constraints that our current products.

It will also be much easier for you to dynamically choose which of the system's major screens (PFD, EMS, Map) are displayed, and in what configuration.

We do recognize that there are some really technical folks out there that would like to really get under the hood, but unfortunately there are limits to the programmability that we have time to expose while still offering a robust product.

16FW

...To that end, the SkyView system will offer configurability far beyond what our current products do. In particular, on the engine monitor side of things, you'll be able to define your own sensors with your own characterizations. Engine instruments will be able to be moved about with much less constraints that our current products.

It will also be much easier for you to dynamically choose which of the system's major screens (PFD, EMS, Map) are displayed, and in what configuration.
Hmmm, would it be possible to put a small, second, EMS way over on the co-pilot's side, and add it's display to the main pilot's screen, and have two EMS displays for a twin engine aircraft?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You'll be able to do this within the SkyView system itself (not on initial release) by adding a second engine monitor module to the system. Then, your twin engine data will be able to be viewed on any SkyView screen in the aircraft.

However, as previously stated, the current EMS line will not be able to be displayed on the SkyView screens.

PhantomPholly

That's a nice update - does that mean you can display them simultaneously on the same screen?

I know your philosophy thus far has to keep the system more "appliance-like" to make learning and documentation easier. It will be interesting to see how flexible the new system will be.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That's the idea, but exactly how it'll look and feel is a bit to early to speak to.