Flight lines

dzubot

I love flying!
I'm using my dynon skyview touch/autopilot to fly survey flight lines and have found that sometimes it will fly just parallel to the flight line and not get back on track, especially if there is a bit of turbulence. Any ideas on how to tighten up the autopilot to fly more precise on the flight lines?

The pitch axis also does not hold altitude well sometimes, it will pitch up and down, blowing through the set altitude like a roller coaster ride (up/down up/down), what should be increased or decreased in the settings to have a more stable altitude hold?

mmarien

Murray M.
The pitch axis also does not hold altitude well sometimes, it will pitch up and down, blowing through the set altitude like a roller coaster ride (up/down up/down), what should be increased or decreased in the settings to have a more stable altitude hold?
I get the same problem with the pitch in rough air. See my post here:

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1462733396

When it starts to overshoot pitch in rough air I over ride it and level out at the altitude then let go. It's good for a bit then starts the roller coaster thing again. I think I'll run through the Tuning Guide once again but in rough air to see if I can get better performance.

If you are paralleling the flight line are you sure you have NAV selected and not TRK. Or perhaps the wrong GPS is selected. I've done that before.  ;)

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I'm using my dynon skyview touch/autopilot to fly survey flight lines and have found that sometimes it will fly just parallel to the flight line and not get back on track, especially if there is a bit of turbulence. Any ideas on how to tighten up the autopilot to fly more precise on the flight lines?

Which mode are you using for the lateral guidance? Are you actually using two points to make a leg, or using TRK mode to follow a ground track? The former mode will try to keep the the aircraft on-course (centering the needle), while track mode endeavors to fly a particular ground direction, but can be pushed slightly off a particular course line by changes to wind and such.

dzubot

I love flying!
I am using Nav mode on autopilot. I import my flight lines via GPX file created in an aerial mapping software called mission planner. It draws the flight lines, but in rougher air it can get off the line and will not try to go back, it'll fly parallel to the line. I'll try the calibration in rough air and see if that will help fix the roller coaster ride I sometimes get with pitch control.