FlightDek D-180 freezes

f16bmathis

I've got a D-180 that says I'm going 25-26 kts when I turn it on, or if I turn it off and back on, it may say 0 kts. I've zeroed it, but it still seems unreliable. Sometimes my AS and or ALT will freeze up. My engine RPM's also jump around sometimes going full RPM or even to 0. And of course nothing would be complete without my compass after several calibrations an programming in the intensity? and mag var? (read the instructions, entered what the web site said) the compass drifts all over, and yes, nothing is near the compass unit, and the hardware has been changed to non ferrous material. Engine temps are nice and steady as is the fuel readings. My pitot is connected to the Dynon Pitot/AOA non heated pitot probe, but the altimeter is connected to another (OLD) probe. Looks like the Dynon Pitot/AOA has a bent AOA tube? Not really sure, but it isn't being used for a reason. Did go over the tubing from the probes, no leaks, no blockages. Any suggestions? :)

Rhino

I would contact Dynon Support. They may ask for your log files and be able to give you a better answer. Is this a new install, or are these new problems in a system that worked fine previously? Did these problems all pop up at the same time? If so, I'd suspect the D180. The title says the D180 freezes up, but your post only mentions altitude, airspeed and compass. Which is it? Are you using a remote compass, and does it agree with the internal compass? Have you recalibrated the zero pressure value in your static system? Your altitude is not derived from a pitot tube. It's derived from a static port, and should not (normally) be connected to a pitot tube. For testing purposes, you can just disconnect the static line from the D180. It will use the ambient cabin pressure to determine altitude, which is actually pretty accurate on the ground. I could come up with more questions, but if you eliminate the D180 as the culprit, I'd advise starting individual threads for each problem. The investigation and troubleshooting are likely to take different paths.

Last edited:

f16bmathis

Wow! It's been a while. So for the Dynon freezing up, turns out the AOA side of the probe had become disconnected. Someone had installed both the AOA and the pitot lines using heat shrink on the probe lines and the 1/4" lines to the dynon, then slid fuel tubing over it all, expecting it to hold! I've since put compression fittings on.

As far as the RPM indications, I've added a 33K ohm resistor to the input and I now have reliable RPM readings.
And the compass was sitting too close to the seats and must have been getting something from myself and my passenger or our headsets. I've moved the sensor to the rear of the baggage area away from everything and it is also reliable now.

Rhino

Thanks so much for coming back and letting us know the fix.