Flying a Garmin 496 Route on Autopilot

krehbs

Can anyone tell me if my D100 coupled to a Garmin 496 should change my headings automatically at each waypoint on my active route? I have an AP 74 and an HS 34. I recently purchased the airplane and as of now, it simply overflies each waypoint. If it should, are there settings I need to change on either the D100 or the 496?
Thanks!

jakej

Without GPSS which the portables like yours it will overfly the next waypoint in a flightplan & then do a turn/s onto the next rack.
Are you saying it does not do that ?
What NMEA settings do you have in the 496 ?

krehbs

I will check and post what I find. Also, I have a GPS Map 495 not a 496. Thanks in advance for any advice!

krehbs

Jake
The Interface setting on my 495 is-
Serial Data Format
Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out
Baud
Thanks!
Brad

jakej

Brad- on a multi leg plan what does the a/pilot do when it get to the next waypoint ?
ie - does it try to intercept the next leg or do something else ?
Without GPSS (which the 495/496 does not have) what should happen is the a/p will overfly the w/point a then may make a couple of turns to intercept the next leg of the flight plan. Are you saying yours does not do that ?

krehbs

I get a message on my Garmin Screen that I will need to adjust my course for the next leg as I approach the way point. I might not have waited long enough to allow the AP to begin making S turns to know for sure. Is that maybe what CWS mode is for? My understanding is that CWS disconnects AP Roll only and holds Alt.
Thanks Jake this is very helpful!
Brad

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
And one other thing - you need to be in NAV mode, so that the AP will follow the 495, and not in heading mode, where it will only follow the bug.

jhmcglynn

I love flying!
I have the same equipment except I believe my GARMIN is a 396. It does the same thing, overflies the waypoint and then does a series of S turns to get back on course. Frankly I just use ForeFlight and the heading bug.

jakej

I have the same equipment except I believe my GARMIN is a 396. It does the same thing, overflies the waypoint and then does a series of S turns to get back on course. Frankly I just use ForeFlight and the heading bug.
Read post #5 & then post #8. It applies to the 395 as well.