Flying a Hold or Procedure turn using GNS430

sglynn55

I Love Flying
I'm still testing and learning and your help clarifying this is appreciated. I'm flying HDX and Garmin 430 as second Nav. When I'm flying using the 430 as source I can go from enroute to approach and the autopilot will steer. But if there is a procedure turn or hold at the IAF due to sharp angle coming into final approach course the autopilot won't fly the turn? And the turn doesn't show on the HDX like it does on the 430 screen. I have to use heading or hand fly the turn then get back on final approach course and reset AP to NAV. Is this because the Garmin 430 does NOT send route data to Dynon AP for the turn? It just stops until turn is complete and you are re-established on final?

airguy

I have the exact same setup in my 9A, 430W and HDX, and it flies both the procedure turn inbound and the missed holds just fine. You've got something amiss in your buttonology.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So first, make sure that on the map, you're seeing the 430's flight plan information. This can be toggled from the flight plan menu, or, there is a deeper setup menu option to lock it to the HSI source. That's really just about displaying the holds and flight plan from the 430 on SkyView's map, though.

As for the turn are you saying that it doesn't turn at all? Or that it doesn't make the desired course? If the former, something deeper is going on with the configuration or setup of the AP/430 interface. But if it's the latter, know that the AP will always respect bank angle, G, and other limitations, so if you have a really tight turn, it could end up teardropping into the actual course if the maneuver would exceed your AP's limits. That said, most procedures generally don't require hard maneuvers that normal AP settings wouldn't be able to accomplish.

djones

Administrator
Staff member
It is my understanding(I researched it several years ago) the old 430 non-waas does not send the hold guidance to the SkyView where the 430W does.
I have an old 430 in my 9A and it doesn't do holds either